Brand Experience and the Web : Comments

By Dirk Knemeyer

July 14, 2004

Comments

Jim Amos

July 18, 2004 11:25 PM

Many people with more

Mindaugas

July 19, 2004 12:57 AM

I sometimes think that explaining to clients what web design really is should be a full time position :) I only recently met a client who himself told me that traditional print/graphic designers generally don’t know much about web design. I was surprised.

July 19, 2004 9:54 PM

Good point, Mindaugas. I don’t think I found a client that could distinguish between the two to that degree yet. I have been preaching that one for years here.

dk

July 20, 2004 12:06 AM

Yes, the issue of our work largely being foreign, “black box” work to our clients remains a very real problem. That does not lessen the potential advantage we have, though; rather, it is a question of our gaining the appropriate complementary skills to leverage our web knowledge and for folks in other domains to gain some familiarity with digital media. That way, they understand enough for our skills and expertise to have some tangible traction while, at the same time, we are better able to speak their language and contextualize their domains in our own.

Also, thanks to everyone who came out to WebVisions to hear all of the presentations, including this one. The attendance was really strong and it was great to meet a lot of very bright, engaged and insightful folks.

Himanshu Kapoor

August 7, 2004 12:11 AM

Yes, I agree. Branding is something universal. The effort at physical traditional branding must compliment the modern media branding. The gap must be narrowed to create a feeling/emotion for the audience. Majority of the branding on Net is quite bland and is merely concentrated on rubbish content like contest and downloading wallpapers and nothing more.

Himanshu Kapoor

August 7, 2004 12:12 AM

Himanshu Kapoor

August 7, 2004 12:13 AM

Tom Levine

December 11, 2004 8:55 PM

I really enjoyed this article. Brand Experience is indeed a new way to look at web design, however, the thought process involved in coming up with a successful business strategy to tackle the nuances of this focus is ageless. In fact, I often wonder if web designers may need to take a couple steps back, put their toys away, and focus on the end-users’ experience first. Match the experience that they need and want, towards the experience of taking a positive business action online, and you’ve got the branding experience in full force. Get too tricky, too sophisticated, and too flashy, and you’ll lose them in seconds.