Captions for Video with Flash CS3 : Comments

By Tom Green

June 4, 2007

Comments

David Owens

June 5, 2007 3:18 AM

I recently built a flash video player in Flash 8 which takes captions in the dfxp xml format. I create these files using MAGpie. and load them into the CCforFlash plugin.

Is the new CS3 component able to use this format? As far as I know MAGpie does not currently export the TT xml format.

Robert F.

June 5, 2007 6:03 AM

“FLVPLaybackCaptioning, is tucked in with the video components when you install Flash CS3. This component does not work solo. It must work in tandem with the FLVPlayBack component, meaning, there must be instances of both components on the stage for this one to work.”

Why does flash do this? If it doesn’t work alone, then make them work together, why must I remember to bring my “steering wheel” when I go out driving???? ;)

Andrew Kirkpatrick

June 5, 2007 6:26 AM

David: MAGpie does output the DFXP XML format. In fact, several tools do (http://www.adobe.com/accessibility/products/flash/captioning_tools.html), with more on the way.

Robert: Unfortunately, not everyone considers captioning to be the steering wheel for Flash video! The component is separate since there was interest in keeping the FLVPlayback smaller and allowing developers who need the functionality to easily add it.

I’d also like to point out that the FLVPlaybackCaptioning component can also display Captionate captions that are in embedded FLV cuepoints, and we also have an article out that includes skins for AS2 (works in Flash 8 and 9) that also use the DFXP XML data format and can also display captionate captions. So, whether you are able to target Flash Player 9 or need to work with player 8 we’ve got a solution for you.

Tom, I’m glad you like it!
AWK

More info: http://www.adobe.com/accessibility/products/flash/captions.html

Andrew Kirkpatrick

June 5, 2007 6:27 AM

David: rereading your post, it strikes me that you may not be clear that DFXP is the timed text format.

Robert F.

June 5, 2007 7:37 AM

Andrew: Thanks for clairification, in this case then I now understand. If it can be used elsewhere, but needs the second component to work in VIDEO, then cool. I just run into this so much in the web world, so I must admit I lashed out before learning more. ;) I can’t stand when they add extra steps….! ;)

Cheers

Craig Hooper

June 5, 2007 4:25 PM

Holding back Flash video?

Give me a break. It’s become the most widely-accepted video format out there, and blows everything else out of the water.

Good article

Kat

June 5, 2007 4:57 PM

Just so I understand: this article is about closed captioning with Flash? Not open captions?

David Owens

June 6, 2007 4:27 AM

Thanks Andrew – I hadn’t realised that. I guess I shouldn’t have been so lazy and should have taken a look at the XML file!

Tom Green

June 6, 2007 5:12 AM

Craig,

Of course it is “widely-accepted”. I traced why in my series on the Rise of Flash video. Captioning removes a major obstacle to its even broader acceptance in organizations that don’t permit its use because it is inaccessible to people with disabilities.

Walker

June 6, 2007 1:42 PM

@Kat:

Closed Captioning is a common name for captions provided to those hard of hearing or completely deaf.

The reason Closed Captions are so interesting is that unlike “Open Captions” they can be toggled on & off.

Tom Green

June 8, 2007 5:29 AM

Kat…

Which explains why there is a Captioning button on the component. Captions can be turned on and off with a mouse click.

Madonna

June 16, 2007 7:56 AM

this article is about closed captioning with Flash.
I should have taken a look at the XML file

Rich

July 14, 2007 3:18 PM

I received several errors when loading the sample XML. I finally figured out that the XML namespace attribute wasn’t properly quoted. Other people may be fine, but I believe that

xmlns=http://www.w3.org/2006/04/ttaf1
should be
xmlns=“http://www.w3.org/2006/04/ttaf1”

Then it worked like a charm. We all know how one XML error can render a document unreadable.

Tim

July 17, 2007 10:16 PM

Great Magazine… I am still learning how to embed captions…

Tips appreciated.

Leon

July 23, 2007 12:34 AM

Great stuff. I’ve always wondered how to do the captions properly. coolest guy on the planet

ChrisF

July 31, 2007 9:37 PM

Thanks for the great tutorial.
Any idea how to make AS3 flvplayback skins accessible via the keyboard? Blind users and people with motor disabilities can’t use a mouse after all. Keyboard access still exists in AS2 skins within CS3. Am I missing something or have Adobe dropped the ball?