Collecting for Design : Comments

By Matthew Smith

November 26, 2007

Comments

Brian Artka

November 27, 2007 7:22 AM

Good article Matthew, thanks for writing it. I have been intrigued on the pixel perfect details of web designs for sometime now, and your article went into that fairly well. Its amazing how those nitty gritty details make such a difference. Dan Rubin and Bryan Veloso went into this at the webmaster jam session this past September too. Here is the link:

matthew Smith

November 27, 2007 7:45 AM

Brian,
Glad to hear it tickled your fancy. :)
Thanks for the link. I’ve downloaded the PDF and I’m reading it now.

Stuart

November 27, 2007 7:49 AM

I enjoyed that. This is exactly why I build the houses and you decorate them. ;)

Anon

November 27, 2007 8:33 AM

Comment deleted.

(If you’re not going to have the cojones to put your own name to libellous comments, we’re not interested in publishing them, Mr Anonymous Coward – Ed.)

Matthew Griffin

November 27, 2007 11:20 AM

It’s always revealing to take a look at a great designer’s creative process. I will definately be incorporating your process into my own. Also, thanks for the great links.

matthew Smith

November 27, 2007 12:17 PM

Stuart,
Ha! Yes. I’m glad you’re on my team!

Anon,
I believe you’ve missed the point. Daniel Scrivner is using horizontal division device that Jesse Bennett Chamberlain in no way invented. Clearly Daniel’s work stands on its own and he needn’t do anything like “direct copying”. You’ll notice that the horizontal divisions are about all they share (albeit, the colors are very similar). I suggest you ask Daniel about it. I’m sure he’s up for a good parlay.

Matthew,
Great designer? Where?! :))
Thanks for the encouraging words. I do hope that your own work grows as mine is as I take the time to have more diligent systems for something that often gets treated as simply intuition. Press on!

John Yellow

November 28, 2007 6:13 AM

A very interesting article. It’s always inspiring to see how other people work and think. Some concepts will certainly come in handy in my own creation process.

Nathan Smith

November 28, 2007 7:30 AM

Matthew: Great write-up. You might also add Garrett’s Flickr compilation to the list…

matthew Smith

November 28, 2007 8:18 AM

John,
Thanks. Describe how you might fit it into your own process, I’m curious :)

Nathan,
Thanks to you as well! Good thought on adding Garrett’s Flickr compilation. Its a bit harder to search than some of the other’s but its a decent collection for sure!

Matt Donovan

November 28, 2007 10:49 AM

Matthew – this was very helpful. Thanks for pointing us to FlickScreen as well. I’m very inspired to begin mym own collection.

beth

November 28, 2007 11:06 AM

Thanks for the heads up on FlickScreen, I’ve been looking for something like this for a while. Now I have a better way to keep my reference imagery organized!

matthew Smith

November 29, 2007 6:48 AM

Matt and Beth,
You’re both welcome! I’m really glad my friend Bryan was able to put it together for me. I’m sure there’s likely to be some updates around the corner as well. Happy screen hunting.

Harry Kerstetter

December 3, 2007 6:05 PM

Great article! All of the great designers in the world inspire a programmer such as myself to better the design portion of my websites.

James

December 18, 2007 10:13 AM

Is there any equivalent to flickscreen for windows? I’ve done some rummaging around but can’t seem to find one. Thanks

matthew Smith

December 19, 2007 12:19 PM

Harry,
Thanks man!

James,
I think Grabbr is what you’re looking for.

James

December 23, 2007 11:15 AM

Thanks for the help Matthew!