CSS 101 : Comments

By Mark Newhouse

August 11, 2004

Comments

Federico Reinoso

August 12, 2004 10:52 AM

Pretty cool, simple enough to a 101 article, even if you use CSS from a long time, this article its very clear and show a little more.

Nice

Ralf

August 12, 2004 2:34 PM

Excellent article!

I’m a developer trying to understand some more about the front-end of web applications and these should get me started in the right direction.

Looking forward to the next installment…

Paul Nattress

August 13, 2004 7:47 AM

For UK based designers, remember that the CSS specifications are written in US English. Therefore “colour” is “color”, “centre” is “center” etc. Remembering this can save a few headaches when you can’t work out why your CSS isn’t working!

Newbie

August 16, 2004 11:05 AM

I am learning CSS from it. When I tried to use class for a link”
a.mylink {...}

it won’t work. But if I change it to be
a#mylink {..}

it works, but i have more than one link. how can I do it?

Blair

August 16, 2004 3:38 PM

Mark

Much appreciated article.
This has cleared some of the mist for me.
Looking forward to more of the same quality.

Thanks :)

Mark Newhouse

August 17, 2004 2:12 PM

Thanks for all the kind words! I am always glad to hear it when something I have written has helped someone.

@newbie: Make sure that you are giving links a class of “mylink” in your (X)HTML and a.mylink should work for you. If a#mylink is working, then you must be giving the link an id of “mylink”.

You might also be intereted in another, somewhat more advanced, technique that will help you get rid of all those classes. I call it Environmental Style.

KelL

November 10, 2004 8:08 PM

how do you use this to create a theatrical resume in css? all the tutorials/templates don’t seem to deal with this. I need to place my resumes (acting/directing/tech) on my site,and I wish to keep the site as css/xhtml, yet I can’t find any info on how to do this

What I am looking for is a layout that will allow me to palce my name/contact/unions c enter, vitals in a row and my performances in this manner: Section I/II/III
Play title Role Prodution Company
under this, I need to specify training and skills as separate sections.
Thanks
KelL

bergiemoore

December 30, 2004 12:10 PM

Very nicely put together article that does not talk down to the reader, nor assume that he/she knows too much. This is an especially helpful article that takes a lot of the intimidation out of a potentially difficult subject. Thanks!

fmp04

April 7, 2005 5:34 AM

Very helpful article. Clear, straightforward.