Databases Behind Shops : Comments

By Paul Tero

March 2, 2005

Comments

March 6, 2005 4:02 PM

Since no one has commented on Paul’s article I thought I would be the first to do so. This is what I would call a database 201 article.. the next step after the 101 article he did. What do you, our readers, think about us publishing these kinds of articles? Do you want to see more of them or less of them? I’d really like to hear what you thought about it as well.

Adam Bramwell

March 7, 2005 5:07 AM

Wow, that’s a long article. I like it, it’s a very useful area and is well written. Obviously to harness it I’ll have to set aside a bit more time than your average web snippet, but it should be worth it, thanks!

Dave P

March 7, 2005 4:53 PM

I can only speak for myself here of course; as a web programmer, although the article is well written, this is really basic stuff.

Too basic.

Now, of course I realize not everyone who reads this is at my level with code, especially those who hail from graphic design fields.

I would caution however that a certain level of competency in your audience should be assumed… otherwise there are bookloads of content that you could cover that would seem very “webmonkeyish” if you get my drift.

Once again: I don’t want to disparage the author, because as I said, the article is well written and he is knowlegable to the subject matter, but you asked. :-)

vic

March 7, 2005 5:57 PM

Well I’m a student doing database programming and stuff, and like dave I found the article to be pretty basic, but an excellent one for the main reason that it isn’t intended for a professional audience.

It’s written for clients and people in marketing who really have no clue about how all this stuff works! And it’s great again because there are some neat technical catch phrases there that are just perfect for sealing a deal. So next time I have a client I can just direct them to this article instead of explaining all the database basics :)

PS: It would be cool to see a continuation of how all of this ties in with a scripting language like php and maybe cover some heavy stuff like asp/jsp programming too!

Sally Carson

March 10, 2005 6:48 AM

This article was very helpful and informative. I’m a web designer that has actually had to do some SQL queries at my job without knowing what I was doing, just being handed a set of instructions (scary!).

I have a general comment about the size of the code examples. On my machine these are rendering very small, almost unreadable. It looks like they are about 8 px, plus they’re grey rather than black, which makes them even harder to read. I’m on Mozilla 1.01 on Windows XP with 1152 × 864 resolution.

Great article though!

Paul Tero

March 10, 2005 8:02 AM

Thanks for your comments, and I’m glad people liked the article and examples. It is aimed at the less technical among the Digital Web audience, but I hope it that it
was interesting nonetheless.

Victor Nunez

March 15, 2005 9:54 AM

Interesting and clear, pretty understandable. I would recommend a future issue about on-line transactions with credit cards. I have heard that some hosting companies include facilities such as SSL and that kind of stuff.

Andrew Henze

March 16, 2005 3:07 PM

Great article. Well written.
But far too basic.

How about getting someone from Dell to talk about the database architecture behind dell.com?
Or someone from gettyimages.com to talk about their databases? amazon?
Or how about google? I can imagine it now.
“Yeah, we have this big table called ‘Websites’ and we update it a lot. Oh and we search it like real quick with SELECT * FROM Websites WHERE Content LIKEbritney spears‘” :)

By the way I love Digital-web for the xhtml/css stuff.

Douglas Clifton

March 20, 2005 7:46 PM

I believe Paul has taken the correct approach here. DWM has traditionally been aimed at Web page and graphic designers, rather than programmers and database administrators. With that said, I welcome more content of this kind. I’m a firm believer that there shouldn’t be a division between the technical and artistic aspects of Web development.

Doug

Afton

March 26, 2005 2:58 PM

I agree with the comments concerning the article’s basic level. But how much does the article cost? One can obtain this information and much more by buying a book such as PHP Bible by Converse or PHP and MySQL Web Development by Welling and Thomson.

The internet has its place in finding information, but I’ve found in many situtaions spending money on a well chosen book is more informative and less time wasting then browsing the internet. There are few articles on the internet that are for medium to advanced users. And the advanced information is not free.

March 26, 2005 6:11 PM

Afton: So you are saying we should republish this article as well as other from Digital Web Magazine in the form of a book? ;)

Angela Wilson

April 9, 2005 4:53 AM

Great article! I just read and it