Easy-peasy PHP 2 : Comments

By Jim Amos, Mike Papageorge

July 11, 2005

Comments

Douglas Clifton

July 12, 2005 7:40 AM

I’m glad to see the authors demonstrating the switch/case control structure for conditional includes. So much cleaner and easier to code and understand than a pile of nested if/elseif/else statements. Good work! ~d

tim0fee

August 14, 2005 5:09 AM

Great! Thanks so much for all yout time & effort. I was following a link to the old version of this tutorial for a while and things wern’t going right. Now it’s all OK – brilliant!

Thanks again Jim and Mike and all other contributors.

tim0fee

halo

September 6, 2005 3:02 AM

Thanks for the great tut!

...though I notice that if I place the ‘navigation.php’ include code anywhere other than where it is in your (more advanced) downloadable sample files – the ‘currentpage’ CSS indicator stops working! Weird…

Anyone know why this might be or how I could alter the PHP code to allow me to place the ‘navigation’ anywhere I choose whilst retaining the ‘currentpage’ state?

Ta,

halo

John Faulds

September 18, 2005 4:59 PM

I’m no expert with PHP, but I found you can even do away with a switch statement by doing where $path is the path to the includes folder + the name passed in through the querystring. I have used a switch statement cos I’ve got different include folders, but if all your includes were in the same location, it seems like you wouldn’t need a switch statement.

John Faulds

September 18, 2005 5:02 PM

Sorry, having to post twice cos the previous version stripped out some code even though it looked OK in the preview. Between doing and where, it should say include (”$path.inc”);

Chance

October 26, 2005 1:25 PM

Ok … I adapted the code a bit and got it to work. I click and fetches the id and it displays what I want it to display.

My question is how I can get it to display to a particular cell in a table.

I’ve attempted to do this by various means without success. I can get it to display at the top of the page before the table begins or I can get it to display in the top cell but it pushes the contents of that cell down in order to do so.

Any advice?

Nate

November 2, 2005 7:21 AM

One important note with the includes. It is much more secure to define a site root via PHP define, and then use that in the include statements instead of $_SERVER[ ‘DOCUMENT_ROOT’ ].

So you would define(‘SITE_ROOT’, $_SERVER[ ‘DOCUMENT_ROOT’]) and then use SITE_ROOT in place of the document roots.

Very good for beginner PHP...

Peace