Mozilla Firefox 0.9 : Comments

By Will Chatham

June 30, 2004

Comments

shakib

July 1, 2004 1:59 AM

You can actually drag bookmarks without opening the bookmarks sidebar – but they come from the page-tab rather than the address bar.

At least, this is the case with my version of FF and the Tab-Browser Extension (a most worthy one you neglected to mention which adds even more great functionality to Firefox’s tabs).

Great article, and here’s hoping more people break away from IE!

All this is fine

July 1, 2004 4:48 AM

Yes, all this is fine, but Firefox is substantially slower than, say, Opera and doesn’t have half the features.

paul haine

July 1, 2004 9:36 AM

I’ve also found Firefox to be sluggish compared to Opera, and most of these extensions mentioned are already available in Opera by default…

hankster

July 1, 2004 10:27 AM

Last I checked, Opera wasn’t free, unless you want ads.

Paul

July 2, 2004 6:43 PM

I think it’s amazing to see what Mozilla are doing. I don’t think Opera will ultimately attract as many users, as you have to pay for an advert-free versiob of the software. I, for one, do not think that ‘ordinary’ users are likely to break away from IE to a browser they have to pay for.

Stephen

July 4, 2004 3:30 AM

Opera doesn’t support all the standards, and supports some things that aren’t standard.

Firefox 0.9.1 is out now. The new icons looks tons better, but I prefer Charamel :)

Chaaa

July 4, 2004 9:38 AM

Since I took my router up to the office I’ve had to use firewall software on my home pc. I was already using Firefox and IE about 50/50.. Because of all the cookie and pop-up issues I’ve encountered from using firewalls in IE, I’m using Firefox 90 percent of the time now. Great article, from a designer’s perspective the extensions in Firefox have become invaluable to me.

Bill Creswell

July 6, 2004 3:32 AM

Yeah! Did you see? w3Schools has Mozilla higher than IE 5.0 now.

July 6, 2004 8:20 AM

Stephen: Good points. It looks like Tim Bray is crying foul about this very thing today.

Alfred de Boda

July 25, 2004 3:36 PM

Firefox has considerable potential which should not be under estimated. It presents a great threat to not IE but Opera. Opera has become complicated and its UI cumbersome and not entirely intuiative. The challenge for Firefox is to branch out of the geek community and once mature, to not be overdeveloped like Netscape Navigator was.

Recently Paul Thurrott who typically touts Microsoft software has extolled the virtues of Firefox over Opera and IE. http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/ie_no_more.asp

Victor

August 3, 2004 9:39 PM

Firefox is awesome, whats more awesome is the ability to block all kinds of advertisements. How will the financial sector of the internet fare if firefox starts dominating? Some food for thought but me likes the fox for sure!

Terry Eaton

August 5, 2004 8:42 AM

I am using Firefox on my PCs at work but I am still using Safari when I am on my Macs. The integration with Safari makes me not want to switch (i.e. iChat links opening in a new tab in Safari versus a new window with any other default browser.) It’s the little things. :-)

Don't celebrate just yet

August 20, 2004 5:15 AM

As long as Microsof (and their OS) are around, IE will continue to be a major player which is bad news for designers as they show no signs of improving their web standards.

August 20, 2004 2:25 PM

whomever: I would dissagree with that statement. I believe that unless MS starts taking security seriously and proves to the public that it safe to use their software, I can’t forsee the MS parade lasting too much longer… certainly not in the short term browser industry.