Getting IA Done, Part I : Comments

By Joshua Kaufman

June 6, 2005

Comments

June 7, 2005 5:26 PM

Great article Joshua. I think we need to see more of these kinds of articles or lists out there… not just for IA, but for all aspects of web production. Anyway, check out Lou’s comments.

oerdec

June 8, 2005 1:06 PM

I really enjoyed reading. Just a quick note. Documentation is very important. It sounds trivial but telling your colleagues about it and where to find it is essential and can avoid much trouble.

Kyle

June 13, 2005 4:38 PM

I couldn’t agree more with statement that “If I notice that I haven

rr

June 16, 2005 11:10 AM

Nice well-rounded article.

One thing I’ve learned about scope management, though, which seems to work well with clients, is to let them know that out-of-scope deliverables can always be accomodated, but with impact to the overall delivery timeline and project cost. So, you can say, “Sure, you want a Powerpoint presentation describing the new widgets for this release? Based on our current resource allocation, that will push back development by 2 weeks, and will cost xx dollars.” Once they understand the impact, it’s their choice to push for the deliverable or not; either way you’re covered, and you are perceived in a positive, “can-do” light. But you’re right, once you’ve set a precedent for acquiesence, it’s hard to go back . . .

Re: Visio Shortcuts — if your mouse has a scrollwheel (which most do), there’s a much easier way to zoom and pan:

pan up/down – scrollwheel up/down
zoom in/out – CTRL + scrollwheel up/down
pan lft/rt – SHIFT + scrollwheel up/down

Here’s another handy shortcut to get around Visio’s lack of “paste-in-place” functionality:

1. select object that you want to copy
2. press SHIFT and then CTRL, and hold them down simultaneously
3. drag the object along the desired axis to the point where you want it to be pasted.
4. release mouse button and keys.

Voila, you have a duplicate, aligned either vertically or horizontally with the original object. This works great for quickly creating multiple data table rows or columns, navigation items in navbars, etc. . .

These two sets of shortcuts have saved me lots of pain . . .

thanks again for the article . . .

==rr

Jonathan

June 22, 2005 1:35 AM

Where’s the beef?

Jonathan

June 22, 2005 1:37 AM

Sorry, I should be more specific than that. Where are examples of what you’re talking about? For example, your page/line technique? I think this article is interesting as all that, but it would really benefit from some tightening down to specifics with visual examples of how you work. At least for me. ;-)

Joshua Kaufman

July 18, 2005 5:29 AM

Thanks for your feedback Jonathan. Sorry that this article didn’t contain any visual examples. I’ll definitely try to include more visual examples of the article in part 2.