Getting The Most Out Of Your Library : Comments

By William Hicks

August 12, 2008

Comments

chovy

August 13, 2008 10:16 AM

Libraries can have good resources, even for technology, especially established stuff like C++, PHP, Photoshop, Java, etc.

I’m even seeing a few rails books in there.

When I buy a brand new book, if its a necessity for me I do one of two things: donate it to the Santa Cruz Library, or keep it, and reference it later.

These days most books are being delivered as PDFs as well, so donating the paperback, and keeping the PDF works for me (i hate reading books on a screen).

I think Kindle may help that, but I’m also thinking it will all be propriatary crap, kin to the “Video Ipod”. W/o hoops to get a regular old PDF. At $400 I’m not willing to take that risk again.

chovy

August 13, 2008 10:17 AM

ps — surprised you hadn’t mentioned shelfari.com

Joeyanne

August 13, 2008 10:49 AM

Great article! I work in a UK academic library and often let my partner (a web designer) know about the resources we have which are available to him. I often complain about how wrong public opinion of libraries is and it’s great to see an article like this trying to change that. :)

Lee

August 13, 2008 12:02 PM

Quoted you on TTW. Good stuff!

TTW contributor: Lee LeBlanc

GeekChic

August 13, 2008 1:18 PM

Very nice article. Do note that most libraries offer off-site access to their databases if you have a library card number and pin (or an Athens number in the UK).

Andrew B

August 13, 2008 10:05 PM

Very fine overview. I work in a large U.S. research library and everything you describe rings true. My university is relatively young — we were established in the 1870s, and the collections have been growing ever since. It is a treasure trove, but it is also a truly massive legacy project. The important message is to tap in, let your curiosity carry you forward, and if you get stuck, simply ask for help — reference librarians live for this, and most libraries offer e-mail and chat services.

Quote Catcher Website Design

August 14, 2008 8:37 AM

I am always finding myself search around for new direction sometimes it is like hitting writers block. Thank for the information I will be sure to try it.

Jenny Reiswig

August 15, 2008 1:04 PM

It’s not only academic libraries that offer specialized databases. Many large public libraries and library consortia also buy access to these, and they are often available from home with nothing more than your library card and a PIN number. Sometimes they are embedded in the library catalog as another search option, sometimes they are separated out on the library’s website. I’m amazed at some of the stuff our city’s residents have access to – if they only bothered to go get a library card.

Jolene

October 18, 2008 12:56 AM

“Getting where you need to be” is for me one of the most important points. its like albert einstein said: “u don´t need to know everything, u only must know where u can find it”. its a great feature of nowadays to can have all informations you want and need just a mouseclick away. great article!
Jolene from Büromöbel GmbH