Flash Player 9: Bringing HD Flash Video to the Web : Comments

By Tom Green

October 29, 2007

Tor Løvskogen

October 30, 2007 2:05 AM

Very cool, thanks for the heads up. By the way, the article is buggy, all the content from the “ get this error message” gets stuffed in the sidebar.

Tom Green

October 30, 2007 7:49 AM

I am not seeing that. Tried it in Firefox and Safari and it looks OK.

Brian Artka

October 30, 2007 8:08 AM

Great Article Tom. This is great news, and actually pretty amazing. I think I will be getting back into the HD video world after all (thats what my formal training is in).

Yes, the article was a bit messed up (content in the sidebar where the blockquote is suppose to be) in IE7, but firefox was fine (go figure.)

Walker Hamilton

October 31, 2007 10:35 AM

Sorry guys. The pullquote was got entered incorrectly. It should be fixed….I think.

Ben Reed

October 31, 2007 12:26 PM

Does that mean then that one can stream from a Quicktime streaming server, instead of spending a ton a flash media server?

Tom Green

October 31, 2007 4:56 PM

Not at this time,Ben. The FMS only streams FLV files. I suspect that with this added functionality FMS will be able to stream mov and mp4 files as well but Adobe has been quiet about this subject. I don’t know if Apple will add this functionality to the product either.

November 1, 2007 8:28 AM

Great piece, thanks for breaking it down for me. Though, there’s a small error in your piece. iTunes/iPod support AAC, not HE-AAC (aacPlus). Flash 9 supports HE-AAC. Do they also support the older AAC as well? I don’t see that in Adobe’s docs.

I wish iTunes supported aacPlus, because there are a number of amazing sounding, low-bandwidth webstreams that use this technology that I have to use VLC to listen to. Hopefully this will encourage them to add it. 10.5 adds AAC-LD to iChat, so anything could happen. :-)

jamie neely

December 1, 2007 9:07 AM

Thanks for taking the time to write this. It makes sense of the various sources reporting the step change in Flash video quality and compatibility. I can see lots of advantages outside of the browser also. We’re getting closer to one media player for all :)

John Macpherson

January 17, 2008 5:39 AM

This sounds interesting but 2 points and may be overlooking something obvious here but:

With flvs you get to control the quality of file sizes. If your website started getting serious traffic i could see 2 main problems:

1.) Movs are huge files and bandwidth costs would increase dramatically

2.) Many people wont have a fast enough connection to see these videos without a long wait.

Once again please excuse this comment if i am overlooking something.

ed thielen

June 25, 2008 3:52 PM

This is cool. We are just getting into HD. My question is this: Can the same approach be used when creating a Flash projector? I need to create a standalone presentation that contains over 200 photos and about 10-20 HD movies. Due to the size of the assets it needs to play on a dedicated hard drive rather than through a browser. Any advice? Thanks, Ed