Flash Player 9: Bringing HD Flash Video to the Web : Comments

By Tom Green

October 29, 2007

Comments

Tor Løvskogen

October 30, 2007 2:05 AM

Very cool, thanks for the heads up. By the way, the article is buggy, all the content from the “..you get this error message” gets stuffed in the sidebar.

Tom Green

October 30, 2007 7:49 AM

I am not seeing that. Tried it in Firefox and Safari and it looks OK.

Brian Artka

October 30, 2007 8:08 AM

Great Article Tom. This is great news, and actually pretty amazing. I think I will be getting back into the HD video world after all (thats what my formal training is in).

Yes, the article was a bit messed up (content in the sidebar where the blockquote is suppose to be) in IE7, but firefox was fine (go figure.)

Brian

Walker Hamilton

October 31, 2007 10:35 AM

Sorry guys. The pullquote was got entered incorrectly. It should be fixed….I think.

Ben Reed

October 31, 2007 12:26 PM

Does that mean then that one can stream from a Quicktime streaming server, instead of spending a ton a flash media server?

Tom Green

October 31, 2007 4:56 PM

Not at this time,Ben. The FMS only streams FLV files. I suspect that with this added functionality FMS will be able to stream mov and mp4 files as well but Adobe has been quiet about this subject. I don’t know if Apple will add this functionality to the product either.

~bc

November 1, 2007 8:28 AM

Great piece, thanks for breaking it down for me. Though, there’s a small error in your piece. iTunes/iPod support AAC, not HE-AAC (aacPlus). Flash 9 supports HE-AAC. Do they also support the older AAC as well? I don’t see that in Adobe’s docs.

I wish iTunes supported aacPlus, because there are a number of amazing sounding, low-bandwidth webstreams that use this technology that I have to use VLC to listen to. Hopefully this will encourage them to add it. 10.5 adds AAC-LD to iChat, so anything could happen. :-)

jamie neely

December 1, 2007 9:07 AM

Thanks for taking the time to write this. It makes sense of the various sources reporting the step change in Flash video quality and compatibility. I can see lots of advantages outside of the browser also. We’re getting closer to one media player for all :)

j

John Macpherson

January 17, 2008 5:39 AM

This sounds interesting but 2 points and may be overlooking something obvious here but:

With flvs you get to control the quality of file sizes. If your website started getting serious traffic i could see 2 main problems:

1.) Movs are huge files and bandwidth costs would increase dramatically

2.) Many people wont have a fast enough connection to see these videos without a long wait.

Once again please excuse this comment if i am overlooking something.

ed thielen

June 25, 2008 3:52 PM

This is cool. We are just getting into HD. My question is this: Can the same approach be used when creating a Flash projector? I need to create a standalone presentation that contains over 200 photos and about 10-20 HD movies. Due to the size of the assets it needs to play on a dedicated hard drive rather than through a browser. Any advice? Thanks, Ed