The Transformation of an Industry : Comments

By Nick Finck, Paul Scrivens, D. Keith Robinson

May 13, 2004

Comments

cal

May 13, 2004 12:51 PM

first post!

you know, like, ever :)

Tim Hill

May 13, 2004 8:02 PM

bring back 97’ =) drop shadows look hella cool

May 13, 2004 9:43 PM

Lets not forget the bevel! Gotta bring back the bevel if you’re going to bring back the drop shadow. Retro is the new trend.

Paul Nattress

May 14, 2004 1:11 AM

Beautiful design – well done!

Just one small gripe, the line length of the articles is a little too long for me. I believe 39 ems is the preferred length (in print at least and it looks right online too).

Other than that – this site is just so nice to look at!

Bill Creswell

May 14, 2004 3:31 AM

Not that I don’t like the site, or that it is not well-designed. It’s just seems less original and artistic than the 99-2004 designs.

May 14, 2004 8:17 AM

Paul: Yes, we will be addressing the line length as soon as possible. Thanks.

Justin

May 14, 2004 9:28 AM

I love it! I use the PNH Toolbar extension to disable CSS and I couldn’t figure out why, when re-enabling CSS, each link would show the URL beside the link-text. I thought it was a glitch until I started peeking and noticed the “content” style attribute. That’s the first time I’ve ever seen it used like that – for what it was intended. What a sweet feature!

This redesign is really great on many levels. Kudos to you all – IA, design, content, coding, et al.

May 14, 2004 9:43 AM

It’s hard to say if there is a glitch in the CSS toolbar extension or not… I see what your talking about and I am using Tantek’s CSS favelet… it seem to disable the media=“screen” stylesheet and then clicking again for some reason it enables the media=“print” stylesheet… at least thats the best I can figure out. We’ll look into it.

Dino D'Romero

May 14, 2004 12:49 PM

Well done overall. This redesign is very clean and light, not the heavy darks, black background and thick boarders. Now the information (text) moves forward and is more pronounce than before, more information than presentation, nice. The format is excellent: this is the first site I visit every day for my info, good job gang.

Allan White

May 16, 2004 10:39 PM

Nick et. al,
Congrats on the relaunch – I think things look great. The new look is definitely easy on the eyes. Do publish some info on your line-length solution when you arrive at one; my current fave is just using max-width in the containering DIV and gaining IE support with the IE7 behaviors.
Best wishes as you go forward!

May 17, 2004 9:32 AM

Yes, we are actually using max-width now. Craig Saila posted about it in the redesign thread (see the May 14, 2004 at 9:54:11 AM post [note to self: we need perma links for comments])... I think we are also using the behavior layer to help nail down some rogue browsers as well.

Allan White

May 19, 2004 8:26 AM

Did I say, “containering”? =)

Andy

February 2, 2005 6:55 PM

Don’t knock the bevel, man. If I lose that, then I might as well throw Fireworks away.