Capture a Screencast with a Mac : Comments

By Miraz Jordan

March 12, 2007

Comments

Danny Foo

March 12, 2007 10:10 PM

I’m actually wondering if there’s an application like SnagIt for the Mac. Because I’d like to screenshot scrolling browser windows. :)

cheers.

Miraz Jordan

March 12, 2007 10:32 PM

See if Paparazzi! does what you want:

Cheers,

Miraz

Joop Vos

March 13, 2007 3:30 AM

Screen Mimic is another capture tool that could do the job!

michael

March 13, 2007 8:26 AM

Lovely article with some great tips. I never thought of creating a clean user account for screen casts.

You might be interested in ScreenSteps for turning static screen shots into tutorials. It greatly speeds up my tutorial creation time.

Stefan

March 13, 2007 8:57 AM

Nice article. I am happy user of iShowU, great peace of software.

Malte

March 13, 2007 9:10 AM

Brilliant article.
I’ve just released a screencast on how to produce screencasts using only freeware programs.
Here’s a link to the shownotes with all the programs I used. www.macscreencast.de/2007/03/13/shownotes-zu-msc009/

gato

March 13, 2007 9:48 AM

Display Eater is free does nice screencapturing in some rudimentary way.

illovich

March 13, 2007 6:46 PM

I’m not sure how relevant this is (because Apple is stingy with details), but version 10.5 server includes a pod/screencast server feature which allows you to stream the desktop of any Mac to the server as a quicktime movie.

What’s unclear is whether or not the ability to capture screen movies will be part of the OS (without server). Apple folks I know won’t answer the question directly… some have hinted that it’s possible, but have also qualified that with a “but I’m not sure.”

But making screen movies may be a part of every mac in the near future (I know screen sharing via iChat is definite, so there are similar features going in for sure).

John Walters

March 15, 2007 5:49 PM

Great tutorial! For myself, I use Desktopple. It’s shareware, not freeware, but I find it to be much more powerful than Backdrop.

h.

March 16, 2007 5:08 PM

The real piece of the puzzle i’d like to see is something that allows you to capture a selected piece of your desktop and transfer it to your live webcam output…. so you could switch from your webcam to say a movie from youtube just by selecting that part of the screen…. i know there are programs that do this with ichat but how about something that allows you to do it with the flash based live chat that is becoming quite popular on the web.. i.e stickam.com..the pc has tons of programs to do this, but i cant find a single one for the mac..

tuncay yucel

March 20, 2007 11:28 AM

thankssss…. you are wonderful

Mag

May 20, 2007 1:19 AM

There is a wide range of freeware solutions to do the job. It’s a matter of comparison between them to determine pros and cons of each.

The Contract Mobile Phone Deals Man

August 3, 2007 6:00 AM

Which soloution would be the best for the smallest file size to quality for capturing photoshop tutorials

The Contract Mobile Phone Deals Man

August 3, 2007 6:03 AM

Sorry let me make myself clear. If i wanted to make a photoshop tutorial and post it on the internet which is the best software to use which has a good balance between file size and quality ?