Matt Mullenweg : Comments

By Meryl K. Evans

November 24, 2004

Comments

Dante

November 24, 2004 10:15 PM

Would it be feasible to create something similar to WordPress (but not as complex) without using any sort of database?

November 24, 2004 11:16 PM

Dante: Technically you could build something that ran off of a flat file (basically a text file that uses commas or “|“s to seperate bits of data), but I am not sure it would be optimal much less fast.

The Man in Blue

November 25, 2004 6:47 PM

Hehe, I coded my website using flat files because I would’ve had to get a database set up on my previous server (and I also wasn’t aware of weblog software at the time). Now it’s sort of just stuck.

It’s handy for cleanliness of code, plus I didn’t have to write a CMS.

Ken Westin

November 26, 2004 5:48 PM

Using XML vs delimited files would speed up performance. But you will need something server side to parse the XML...

Seth Thomas Rasmussen

November 27, 2004 10:52 AM

Nice interview! :thumbsup:

I’m anxious for WP 1.3…

Rogier

November 28, 2004 2:03 PM

So, you are gonna release that CMS to the public, right? Will it be of the same quality as Wordpress? And perhaps more importantly: will you support it with as much attention as you do with Wordpress?

Because I know Wordpress takes up a lot of your time :-)

Dante

November 28, 2004 2:13 PM

What I was building was sort of like the Ancient Greek City States: it’s a bunch of functionality that has not yet been unified into a single piece of software.

I have written a discussion forum in PHP that uses flat files: one to store data, and a seperate special one to log all IPs and Email addresses of messages posted on the entire site (each with unique id), so if there is a spam/troll problem I can take care of it. I assume WP does the same thing. I have never used WP so I wouldn’t know (but I hear it is excellent against spam).

Matt

November 28, 2004 9:10 PM

As I said in my blog I’ll be happy to entertain additional questions here if anyone has them.

Rogier, a lot of the CMS code and concepts is actually going into WordPress through the Pages feature. As for supporting other projects, right now I’m working on a set of tools to allow me to scale better and allow more peer-to-peer support on this new projects. I’ve learned a lot from the growth of WP. Also I’m sure there will be other open source developers attracted to the different projects that will give them attention as well.

Johanka

November 29, 2004 9:13 AM

Is there a chance that the final release of Wordpress 1.3 will come out before this Christmas? ;-)
(Of course, I have no idea about the amount of work still left to do.)

Barbara H

November 29, 2004 9:36 AM

Fascinating information. I don’t understand the details, but I’m developing a greater understanding of the scope all the time. (Your mom sent me the link to this article. She’s trying to enlighten me.)
If your computer peers understood the true scope of your jazz sax abilities, an aspect of you with which I am more familiar, they probably would be as blown away by that as I am about the Wordpress development information. Talk about multifaceted- multi-talented!
Oh yes, very nice interview.

Dennis Williamson

November 29, 2004 4:46 PM

Dante:

See these adventures with flat files.

(courtesy of Matt)

Dante

November 29, 2004 6:56 PM

A little off topic Matt, but how old are you anyway?

And is the code for the Texturize Engine online?

Matt

November 30, 2004 2:11 PM

Johanka, that would be a nice present. :)

Dante, everything is on topic here I suppose. I’m currently 20, and the Texturize code is available in the WordPress CVS currently. When I get the enviroment for other chunks of code set up Texturize and autop will have their own pages and download sections.

Dante

November 30, 2004 3:41 PM

In that case:
Favourite place in San Francisco?
Favourite PHP function?

Matt

December 3, 2004 1:54 PM

Favorite place in SF? Don’t know a lot yet, but I really enjoy Yerba Buena park, Crepes on Cole, the beaches, and Bocce.

In PHP I really like parse_str but the most useful to me is preg_replace.

Dante

December 13, 2004 5:03 PM

How do you feel about competition in the Blog software field? Stuff like MT.

You must see the Embarcadero. It rocks.

In the future, is there any chance that WordPress will support any other databases like PostgreSQL?

Oh, and I read about you in the Houston Press thing; about how you almost lost your sight and all and I think your life would make a great movie (PhotoMatt: The Matt Mullenweg Story)