Risky Business : Comments

By Andy Budd

August 18, 2004

Comments

Small Paul

August 19, 2004 6:05 AM

Great stuff. My job involves working with project managers, yet the actual nuts and bolts of project management have always been a misty mystery to me.

Whenever I work with a project manager that has no meaningful understanding of development, I get really annoyed, as it slows things downs and makes errors much more likely. Conversely, it must be annoying working with me when I’m blind to the methods and aims of project management.

Explanations like this are as valuable to me as CSS guides are useful to people who haven’t coded before. Really good stuff, many thanks Andy.

August 19, 2004 8:22 PM

Pretty good stuff Andy. I am going to pass it around at work just as a reference. Maybe there should be a follow up article about proposal writing? ;)

Amit Karmakar

August 19, 2004 10:23 PM

Nice one Andy. Like what you said about letting clients know. This is one thing that probably comes up with every project irrespective of the size of the project itself.

Good project management really is about communication. It

Jim Amos

August 19, 2004 11:01 PM

Good article. I think ‘Managing change’ is the most important consideration here.

yul b karel

August 20, 2004 5:11 PM

nice article, thinks like these also happened to me, sometime client didnt understand what the problem and they didnt care about it, they just let us to solve the problem, hey… this is your product, we need communication here… :D

Evi

August 22, 2004 8:30 PM

Waw..great one! Im going to pass it around at my website team (www.egotime.alegodesign.net) but Im goin to translate it in my mother language…I hope its fine with you..?

August 31, 2004 2:07 PM

Evi: should be fine so long as it follows the guidelines for translations.

Yan

September 29, 2004 7:38 AM

Thank you for the article.
Especially useful for me was the change management part: I understood the need to do something about it but couldn’t formulate it as well as you did.

Yan

September 29, 2004 7:38 AM

Thank you for the article.

Wayne Hardy

August 9, 2005 5:12 AM

As a teacher of Web Design, overseeing final stage students in Web design projects, I can provide this article to them as testimony to the importance of risk management, client communination and overall good practise.

Whilst project components such as risk analysis and mitigation strategies may add to the development costs of websites, it is important to maintain a high level of standards and professionalism – a concept which is often discarded as clients opt for less professional and analyses lacking amateur web designers.

The adoption of best practice is essential in ensuring that web design evolves as a true profession, thus providing opportunities for those who bother to apply the processes which ultimately are in the best interest of the client.