The Road to Actionscript 3 : Comments

By Jonathan Greene

February 12, 2007

Comments

Simon

February 13, 2007 2:20 PM

I know a couple of “proper” developers who have taken an interest in ActionScript since 3.0 came out. ActionScript has definitely arrived.
However, if Adobe then bring out AS4.0 in a couple of years, I’ll be vexed. We need some stability here to get used to the language and max out its capabilities.

Walker Hamilton

February 13, 2007 2:30 PM

I would think stability without maxing out the language would be optimal.

Generally languages evolve along two paths: unmitigated growth purely from need (php) reasoning development and evolution based on need & thought (python).

Actionscripts has an incredibly proprietary nature and it’s basd on ECMAScript. I would like to hope that this will ensure that it provides an intelligent development environment and continues on through stable evolution.

Simon

February 13, 2007 10:18 PM

hmm, maybe “max out” was a poor choice of phrase. what I meant really was that it’s been difficult (for me at least since I don’t code AS full-time) to get to a level where I am spending less time learning the language and its quirks and more time using it inuitively to come up with creative solutions.

Bill Schaefer

February 20, 2007 6:18 PM

one of the main issues I find with action scripting is that it’s difficult to import any volume of html text from an xml document without some serious time delays. We need 4 out to integrate the technology that is being created after the release dates.

maxie

March 23, 2007 8:35 AM

I am not sure why you consider using _prototype a ‘workaround’, classes are not the only approach to OOP, Javascript like lots of other languages use another appproach (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype-based_programming)

Simon Long

March 25, 2007 11:12 AM

It’s proprietor, which is enough not to use it for web development in my book.
Doesn’t the user have a choice not to install Flash Player of remove it from her system? What happens to your site then?
Is it a standard?

AxelF

March 27, 2007 12:01 AM

AS3 is intersting – not at last because of the major speed improvements of Flash with the latest release. So more “real” graphic intensive applications are possible.

Mikle

August 6, 2007 4:12 AM

Thanks for very interesting article. Can I translate your article into ukrainian and publish at my webblog? I will back here and check your answer. Keep up the good work. Greetings i will put it here:
Web design