User Interface Design for Web Applications : Comments

By Jean Tillman

November 12, 2003

Comments

John Yorchak

June 16, 2004 3:52 PM

I enjoyed this article and would love to discuss it further with Jean, but I didn’t see an email address or URL for her. I’m doing similar work at Avaya and have some lessons learned of my own in this area. So Jean, if you see this comment, please email me back. Thanks.

lee marrs

July 23, 2004 4:02 PM

Very useful insights for a MM grad group in the midst of creating their first web application – thanks much.

Jennifer Grucza

July 27, 2004 7:53 AM

Good article – I’ve experienced the same challenges with writing web applications. Particularly troublesome are the points you mentioned regarding ordering of tasks (frequency of use vs. order they’re performed) and the importance of forms vs. content. Creating a usable form is very difficult when there is a lot of complex information that has to be gathered from the user. But even just presenting information can be tough when you have a lot of data: do you scroll or page through records? Or both? Should this data be displayed as a tree structure? What if the tree has thousands of nodes? And then of course you have to write your own tree control, depending on your needs. It can be quite a headache.

Mathuram Nallathambi

February 7, 2005 10:17 PM

well a comment posted really late… The article was insightful yet simple. Not throwing too many jargons. Brief description of differentiating the usage of home in Web based application when compared to a website has unravelled lot of confusions i usually face while doing home page for browser based application.

L. Dowdell

March 22, 2005 8:13 AM

I enjoyed the article. This is a subject many Web developers/designers are faced with. I agreed with the author saying that Web design does not prepare you for Web application design. Fortunately many of the components available for .NET give us graphically challenged programmers a way to make our applications more visually appealing. I’d like to see more articles about this subject…please!!!!

Viraj

July 2, 2005 12:09 AM

Hi thanks for this artical its given me a fair idea of UI for web application. Currently im working on 2 UI projects and would love to read more on UI designing…

Faraz J Karamat

July 8, 2005 2:12 PM

Very nice article. Simple and to the point. As I am currently working on several projects that have UI issues, I found it very useful. It would be nice to discuss other UI issues with the author.

senthil kumar

August 2, 2005 7:05 AM

I got to have a brief overview of your article, however it does not explains the hierarchial level of structural organization rather it assumes only a flat level of the system.

Geoff Bishop

November 19, 2005 12:10 PM

Fantastic article. What a great job characterizing the differences between traditional web sites (Presentation) and typical web applications (data-entry). Well done.