IntraBranding: Why Your Intranet Needs Its Own Personality : Comments

By Garth A. Buchholz, BA, CUA

April 3, 2007

Comments

Nick

April 3, 2007 11:05 PM

And of course because a brand represents what we feel about a company, its very important that employees understand and have complete buy-in for the brand. Branding your intranet correctly is just another way to reinforce the correct brand perceptions amongst your workforce. If your employees don’t live the brand, you’re setting yourself up for a disconnect between your brand message and your employees behaviour.

Scott

April 4, 2007 12:25 PM

I recently worked on a company intranet project for two years. It was built on top of an existing web app and so it adopted the web app’s branding. This turned out to be a mistake and a lot of time was spent converting the branding later on. The employees made the same complaints about the new branding as the old branding, but they couldn’t explain what they wanted so we stopped tweaking it. I think the root of our problem was that the company didn’t have much branding of it’s own; every marketing project looked completely different from any other. A corporate style guide would have alleviated some of the problems.

balachandar

April 4, 2007 10:57 PM

Well said. i work in one of the top IT companies with an employee strength of more than 0.1 million spreaded in 30+ countries. The intranet is pathetic till date and we don’t even have basic things there. It could be branding, usability or common sense – i dont see anything. Some corporates spend millions to create the brand value to the outside world, but they’re not ready to communicate the same to its internal workforce.

Mike

April 6, 2007 11:56 AM

We’re completely redoing our intranet at the moment. It’s much needed since the current one is built almost entirely in Frontpage and the design is probably made by one of the .NET coders. So it feels really good to pretty much start from scratch.

There’s one thing that’s worrying me a little though. It’s decided we’ll have a contest to decide the name of the intranet. This could significantly mess up the intrabrand. Luckily, (as far as I know) I’ll be one of the judges and will have some say in which name will win. But what if all names are hard to work with? What if our boss decides to pick the name himself? I guess I’ll just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Sorry about the useless comment. I just realized this could be a problem while reading and needed to vent. It was also an opportunity to comment on this site for the first time. I’m a pretty new reader and love what I’ve read so far!

Thanks for the excellent article and a great site!

Mike

Carolyn Wood

April 6, 2007 2:31 PM

Hey Mike,
Thanks for commenting…and people appreciate these sorts of vents. Makes them feel like they aren’t the only ones going through these situations.

Rajesh

April 7, 2007 3:07 PM

Good article.I advocate branding in almost any activity that an organization does coz Intranet is one more touch point with the employee.This experience has an impact on the brand. But I have a question. A mature organization as far as brand is concerned, will appreciate the role of branding in intranets. But is seldom the case.. How do we tangibilze the impact of branding in intranets?