Considering Design

July 27, 2004 at 7:51 PM

The news item of the day seems to be François Briatte's design survey. You may have read Nate Koechley's post on the subject... well, Web-Graphics also had a volley of three posts: Tony Stephens had a post, Nathan Steiner had a post, and your's truly had a post. It seems that no one but myself noticed that the majority of the sites used in the study were created by non-designers... programmers or usability gurus, sure, but not designers. Is it just that no one cared, or is it that no one really notices that there is a difference between someone like Doug Bowman who really knows how to design vs. someone like, say Tantek Çelik who really knows how to program and code? Are you considered a designer because you can create amazing CSS, or are you considered a designer because you understand and practice the basic principals of design and have a good eye for the aesthetically pleasing?

Comments

Tony Stephens

July 28, 2004 at 4:20 AM

He did use design in the title and in the article, but I was much more interested in the questions and comparisons across the table. I think the word design might not belong in the survey so much, as it looked at some UX issues and some coding questions. (Links underlined. Font sizing. Search Box.) Those aren't "Design" questions. Yes, there is a difference between design, coding and usability. But look at the convergance rate along these items he had. That is what I found most interesting.

July 28, 2004 at 7:46 AM

(Links underlined. Font sizing. Search Box.) Those aren't "Design" questions. If those are not design questions, then what is? I suggest you rethink your understanding of design.

Craig

July 28, 2004 at 8:35 AM

Like Tony, I didn't read it as a perfect survey, nor one exclusively of "design" trends. To me, the survey is an excellent sampling of the "best practices" as used by some leading (and influential) Web designers/developers in mid-2004.

Mindaugas

July 28, 2004 at 11:38 AM

I really don't get the purpose of this survey. Maybe because it's lacking completeness. I think it may give quantitative conclusions, but not qualitative. P.S. Maybe Tony Stephens meant strictly visual design when he referred to font sizing and presence of search box as not design questions--visual design that gives appearance to the content. Sure, web design (or better website design) is a broader term.

phnk

July 29, 2004 at 12:32 PM

Just to avoid writing again what was said elsewhere, there's a debate around the term 'design(er)' as used in this survey going on at web-graphics.

July 31, 2004 at 5:46 PM

I think Phnk is refering to the same link in the blog post we are commenting on. The comments for that Web Graphics post can be found here.