Microsoft redesigns

August 25, 2004 at 10:08 PM

Sometime late Tuesday night Microsoft launched the latest redesign of their home page. Matt Mullenweg was one of the first to blog about it. It's certainly not 100% valid or semantic, but it is getting there. I am doing my part to get standards compliance in the sites I am involved with, but it certainly a uphill battle. I think Doug Bowman's presentation at Digital Design World may have gained the intrest of just the right people at MS to make some forward movement. See Doug's comments here. I hope the next redesign is fully valid and semantic.

Comments

john allsopp

August 25, 2004 at 11:04 PM

Look, I don't mind them using their own filters, or property names (e.g. xheight) (well, I do, but at least CSS was designed to handle that going on) But, how about quite a bit of unitless length values, e.g. margin:0 2 0 2; padding:2 4 4 8; though intriguingly, not all length values are unitless. And some pretty basic errors like background-color:f5f5f5; [repeated several times] in all pretty iffy QA. This is their home page! If their software was this buggy there'd be an outcry. But like a dog walking on its hind legs, perhaps we should not so much criticize how badly it is done, but marvel it is done at all.

luke

August 25, 2004 at 11:41 PM

I hope the next redesign is fully valid and semantic. I hope the next redesign uses some design talent. Ugh.

Mark

August 26, 2004 at 12:26 AM

This is their home page! If their software was this buggy there'd be an outcry. What do you mean if? ;) Nice effort though, hope its a sign of things to come.

Stefan Rudersdorf

August 26, 2004 at 1:36 AM

on the german website I get an error "Your browser is not supported...Site is best viewed with Internet Explorer or Netscape 6". (surfin

August 26, 2004 at 9:44 AM

I don't think everyone who has posted realized how difficult it can be to change a large corporation's way of thinking about their web site. It's like trying to move a 500 lbs. gorilla with garden shovel... smacking on the head with the shovel may have some negative effects on the behavior.

Mike

August 26, 2004 at 12:17 PM

That ever growing community of non IE browers is still less than 5 percent.