Switch

August 20, 2004 at 10:51 AM

Ok, no, we are not talking Apple here... We are talking browsers. Browse Happy is the latest project to launch from the Web Standards Project. My hats off to the team at WaSP for making this happen. [from Sidesh0w]

Comments

huphtur

August 20, 2004 at 11:18 AM

Switch to Firefox

August 20, 2004 at 11:47 AM

Huphtur: Wow, very interesting. I didn't even know such a site existed... and the design or concept seems too simular.

Ian Firth

August 20, 2004 at 12:32 PM

More spin. IE is as secure as the user makes it. A website devoted to ignorant computer users who download Gator on a daily basis isn't something to be happy about.

August 20, 2004 at 2:14 PM

Ian: or perhaps as secure as it is out of the box from Microsoft. Most users wouldn't know how to lock down IE if they tried. And I am not talking web savvy people, I am talking average people here.

Ian Firth

August 20, 2004 at 11:06 PM

Education is the problem. People just don't want to learn how to use a computer. They want to turn it on and have it work. Just like a car, which is why there are so many bad drivers :)

August 21, 2004 at 9:00 AM

Ian: I agree... but I also think there are a lot of people out there who "think" they know how to drive but really don't.

John

August 22, 2004 at 9:14 PM

Ian, your approach is elitist. My mother can drive just fine and she can also use her computer. What she cant be expected to do is find, let alone understand, the IE security flaw link that says "disable active scripting or use another product" or change the cars gearbox.

Ian Firth

August 22, 2004 at 10:53 PM

Elitist maybe, but blame Bill Gates, not me. He wanted a computer in every home. Sadly, no one bothered to tell people how to use them once they got them. If someone can't open the options dialog in IE, then click the security tab, and adjust the settings, they shouldn't be using a computer connected to the internet (unless they are Moms who have Sons who do it for them).

August 23, 2004 at 7:45 AM

Ian: Though no one ever told anyone how to use a TV or telephone once they got them in their home. I think John's point here is that despite the growing popularity, the general consumer never would have guessed they also needed to be a TV repairman or a telephone lineman.