Yahoo! with Style

September 28, 2004 at 9:04 PM

It seems that Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle, or better known as Yahoo! is hitting the CSS books hard. Both Yahoo.com and My.Yahoo.com have re-launched with full Layered Semantic Markup support. Nice work! Yahoo.com even has full CSS support. Not bad at all, but they still have quite a bit more ground to cover: there are still several issues with validation on the sites and I hope Yahoo! is working to fix those problems soon. Perhaps we will see some XHTML out of these sites yet. Read more about this in the article Yahoo! Redesigns Home Page, My Yahoo! at ClickZ. [From Nate's Notes and UI Designer]

Comments

Elcio

September 29, 2004 at 4:52 AM

Am I accessing the correct page? www.yahoo.com ? Opera said: "This page contains 125 font tags and 61 nested tables."

Thomas Baekdal

September 29, 2004 at 6:46 AM

It seems that Yahoo excludes certain browsers from using the new layout - Opera for one, but also most Linux browsers, Mozilla and Safari Check these screen captures: BrowserCam screenshots of Yahoo.com PS: I fail to see the point of using XHTML/CSS if it only shows in IE...

Thomas Baekdal

September 29, 2004 at 7:01 AM

Hmmm... It seems it is still in beta, because still uses the old coding www.yahoo.com... but if you click on the "Try out the new Yahoo Front Page" then you can see the new design. Yahoo sets a cookie, so that you will continue to see the new layout in the future. Those who have not yet visited the link, will still see the old site. BTW: It is alsmost impossible to validate the layout, since W3C sees the old site (they lack the cookie).

September 29, 2004 at 7:33 AM

Not so, at least not for me.. it say "Welcome to the Yahoo! Front Page BETA. Learn more or send us feedback." ...it's probably because you are not using the right browser... which browsers will it work in? I donno, I am using IE6 at this moment and it seems to load the new site.

Elaine Nelson

September 29, 2004 at 8:24 AM

Yeah, it's IE only now. Looks good, though...much tighter, not so long. (Not that I've ever been much of a Yahoo! user....)

Rick den Haan

September 29, 2004 at 8:43 AM

If you want to set the new layout as default in other browsers, visit yahoo.com/upgrade (don't put a trailing / at the end).

September 29, 2004 at 8:56 AM

Rick: or simply go to the link in this post.. it is yahoo.com/beta and that will set the CSS layout in your browser assuming you are using the browsers Yahoo! decided to allow to view the new design (i.e. Opera may get a nasty message, not sure about Mozilla).

Luke Shingles

September 29, 2004 at 11:53 PM

I ran it through a the W3C validator, not valid HTML 4.01 Strict. It wouldn't let me use Opera. I don't understand how a professional web developer could be so stupid. You don't need to support Opera, Opera s