Favicons

October 2, 2004 at 9:44 AM

It seems a new type of gallery is springing up all over the place, or at least just now coming on my radar. Favicon galleries seem to be a trend lately, here are three of my favorites: Favourite Favicons by Daniel Burka, 401 Favicons by Tokyo Ouja, and MpP Favicon Gallery by Michael Pierce. Michael actually makes some good points about the Digital Web Magazine favicon. I am not an iconographer, much less a logo designer, I would be happy to see if anyone reading this would be interested in helping me develop a better favicon. Just post in the comments below if you are interested in helping design and create one.

Comments

JohnyB

October 2, 2004 at 11:52 AM

Hey, this favicon rocks, no problem with it! I wouldn't change it...

Dennis

October 2, 2004 at 1:38 PM

Sure i wouldn't mind to help

October 2, 2004 at 4:01 PM

Johny: It's a nice one, but it really isn't cutting it anymore. Especially when you compair it against so many others out there. Dennis: Very cool. Are you on a Mac? Before moving ahead I want to give everyone a chance to step up if they are interested.

Jaci

October 3, 2004 at 7:02 AM

I don't see what's wrong with this icon. It is Digital Web Magazine's symbol, not just some random image. I think that the symbol makes it easier for people to recognize the site instead of just a "pretty" icon.

Lasse

October 3, 2004 at 11:14 AM

If you're re-designing it (you should) - remember making the background transperant.. I don't like white BG when hovering bookmarks..

Lasse

October 3, 2004 at 1:50 PM

Also; I see white BG on Favicon when having Digital-Web in non highlighted Firefox Tab..

Julian

October 4, 2004 at 6:50 AM

i agree with Jaci - the favicon works really well. If i had to criticise it then i would say the 'W' cut into the 'D' is a little blurry. keep the icon!!

Mindaugas

October 4, 2004 at 11:03 AM

I think present icon needs only refinement. Using transparency may cause visibility problems of Digital Web mark against certain backgrounds.

October 4, 2004 at 9:37 PM

Ok, so I made a transparent favicon for this site, uploaded it... tested the highlight in firefox and ...well, frankly it looks like ass. I am sorry, the solid background looked much better. The transparent one is online right now, you be the judge.

Mindaugas

October 4, 2004 at 11:58 PM

Nick, Try icon maker from www.axialis.com It offers a Tryout version. You can put several icon images into one favicon.ico. For example one image can be with several levels of transparency to view on Mozzila, Firefox or on Windows XP and other image can be with solid background for OS or browsers that doesn't support multilevel transparency. You can look at my favicon.ico for example. But I agree with you that Digital Web favicon would look more solid against white background, but I think image would need a border.

Robert

October 5, 2004 at 2:53 PM

Have you seen peerbot.com? I stumbled across it the other day and immediately thought of this article. You can browse through a GIGANTIC database of favicons and rate them accordingly, or search websites based on their favicon (colors, transparency, etc.). Kinda neat, I suppose. Still, I'm kind of surprised at how far the favicon has come. I mean, maybe it's just me, but working on a Mac, I had no idea that such a thing existed before Safari came along. As far as the DW favicon, the only real flaw I can see is what might unfortunately be a fundamental flaw in the logo itself--the "D" isn't exactly obvious. That's not to say I don't like the logo, but it might not work as intended without context. I can see how someone might mistake it for some sort of object or shape without making the connection to a "D". But then again, on second glance, has the logo been distorted? It looks a little squat compared to the full size logo at the head of the page.

Lasse

October 11, 2004 at 2:30 AM

Me being offline I didn't get a change to see the DW favicon highlighted in my bookmarks. But actually I think the non-highlighted Tab is the worst: http://gejl.net/temp/DW_favicon.gif