Readership Question: What day should we publish on?

October 13, 2004 at 7:24 AM

Since we publish late at night on Wednesday nights the daily news on the site typically slows down. I have decided to start posting one question to our readership Wednesday mornings. This will help streamline our annual survey (which runs December though January) so we can focus on the more mile-high issues in that survey. So for today I want to ask you, our readers, a simple question (TM SimpleBits). You can respond by simply adding a comment to this post. The question for this week is; on which day would you be more likely to read a new issue of Digital Web Magazine? (e.g. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... etc) As a side-note to that, the theory is that we would publish the night before the day that is most popular so that when you wake up and load up your browser in the morning the new issue will be there. Again, use the comments to reply and you don't have to type in just the day, feel free to explain why you feel this way. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Comments

Tim

October 13, 2004 at 7:47 AM

M-Thurs. anytime.

France

October 13, 2004 at 8:23 AM

Tuesday or Wednesday. Fridays are not a reading day. Thursdays I start to get lazy about checking feeds. Mondays I spend a lot of time catching up on anything from Thurs-Sun. Tuesday is my fresh start. Just my reading habits. Not sure how true that rings for others.

Roger Johansson

October 13, 2004 at 9:33 AM

Any day of the week. It doesn't matter to me.

will

October 13, 2004 at 10:00 AM

I agree with Tuesday - preferrably morning.

Kevin N

October 13, 2004 at 10:16 AM

Hmmm... I check the feeds immediately on Monday/Tuesday when I get to the office, I tend to stray away from hard reading on later days of the week or on weekends.

Christoph Wagner

October 13, 2004 at 2:14 PM

Well, i prefer Monday, cause I have most time before getting to School 2 check in.

Donna Maurer

October 13, 2004 at 6:51 PM

Mon, Tue, Wed are good for me. Sunday (my Monday) I have too much to read. The other days I'm not in the office and everything waits until I get back...

Derek

October 13, 2004 at 9:02 PM

Monday is spent catching up and getting the week's projects started. Tuesday is fine, Wed is fine. Thursday and Friday are a lot tougher...

David McDonald

October 13, 2004 at 9:49 PM

Fridays are quite good for me. Usually by Friday I have completed the majority of my work for the week and am starting to wind down a little, so I enjoy catching up on feeds.

Michael Almond

October 13, 2004 at 11:19 PM

I worked for a Social Marketing media agency for ten years that specialized in advocacy communications campaigns. We targeted specific audiences and had some "golden rules" depending on the issue, the client and who we needed to reach. Now, these may not apply to the world of online publishing and your audience, but for our efforts, we needed to gain maximum media attention, good placement in newspapers or publiications of "record" (if the campaign involved placed print media). We also needed to capture the "attentive public" (people who read The New York Times, for example). Often, we targeted policy makers and members of government, depending on the issue once again. So, our rules: 1. Launch campaigns, hold press conferences, run "placed media," such as print ads, as early in the work week as possible; Monday being the best day and Friday being a dead day for Media coverage and public attention. 2. August is dead time in general, though you never know what can occur. Usually it is and Congress is out of session (should the campaign target congressional leaders). 3. Avoid competing for attention with known quantities, such as a Presidential Election. (Gulp) 4. Accept that events can happen that are out of your control, such as 9/11, and you may just have to take the hit (getting a client to understand this is harder than you would think). Bottom line, who are the key audiences you want to reach or capture attention? Then define, to the best of your ability, their trends, patterns and tendencies. Finally, accept that it isn't an exact science. Hope that helps. Thanks.

Gordon Ferrier

October 14, 2004 at 12:47 AM

I'd like to suggest Saturday or Sunday, for the reason that when I see that there is a new issue available then I generally can't resist looking at it, and then that leads to reading the articles, then I get sidetracked to links and other resources and before I know where I am an hour or more has gone by and I really need to get on with some work! Publishing at the weekend would make me feel much less guilty about doing that!

Paul Watson

October 14, 2004 at 3:00 AM

Monday

Mark Griffiths

October 14, 2004 at 4:07 AM

I think Fridays would be the best for me. Work slows up and I have more time to read my feeds. If I had to choose a second day, it would be Wednesday (middle of the week and all that).

Elaine Nelson

October 14, 2004 at 5:17 AM

Doesn't matter at all to me, just not on the weekend.

Simon Guillem-Lessard

October 14, 2004 at 5:18 AM

Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday are fine. Most of the newsletters I receive are Tuesday and Thursday.

Iolaire McFadden

October 14, 2004 at 5:48 AM

Mid week please - no M or F.

Blake Facey

October 14, 2004 at 5:53 AM

Anywhere from Tuesday - Friday.

Ray

October 14, 2004 at 6:15 AM

Monday. Good reading seems to get me fired up for bigger and better things ; ) There you go... you'll be contributing to not only my but probably thousands of other peoples future success. Shall we say... Moday then?

rob

October 14, 2004 at 5:51 PM

I think Gordon and I are in the minority here, but I'm with him on the weekend idea. If you put it out Sunday, I can read it at breakfast. If an article looks good I won't feel guilty about reading it and following its links; if I'm pressed for time I can get back to it that night.

Paul

October 14, 2004 at 6:53 PM

Tuesday, like above - Monday is cleanup day. Wed-Fri is start and finish work decided on Tuesday.

Esther

October 14, 2004 at 10:58 PM

Wednesday is just fine. Friday is no good, neither is Mondays.

Donna

October 15, 2004 at 1:41 PM

Tuesday! Monday I'm at work to rest from the weekend. Tues and Wed I work, but take a break to read newsletters, email groups, etc. Thu and Fri are usually tying up loose ends and just waiting on the end of the day. ;-)

November 7, 2004 at 8:41 PM

Sounds like Tuesday is the day. So this means we will try to shift our editorial schedule so we publish on Monday night.