EDS in CSS

November 15, 2004 at 7:47 AM

It looks like EDS has redesigned in XHTML 1.0 transitional with CSS for layout. With that said, I think I am going to stop posting when giant web sites such as this one redesign using CSS. It's not that I no longer care, but this is pretty much old hat for most of us. Let's face it, the next logical step for anyone's public-facing corporate web site should be a CSS layout... hopefully standards compliant, hopefully using XHTML where possible. Anything less would be simply perpetuating an existing problem. [from Web-Graphics]

Comments

Anne

November 15, 2004 at 8:19 AM

Hmm, I'm not so sure if XHTML is what you want. Semantic markup, ok.

November 15, 2004 at 8:39 AM

text/html vs. application/xhtml+xml ...yes, it would be nice to one day have our web pages move beyond text HTML tag soup.. but the reality of the situation is that application/xhtml+xml is reserved for only those who are standards purists or those who have a valid business case for needing application/xhtml+xml. I don't think EDS falls into either of those categories. It

Sean King

November 15, 2004 at 9:02 AM

It's not that I no longer care, but this is pretty much old hat for most of us. Let's face it, the next logical step for anyone's public-facing corporate web site should be a CSS layout... I disagree. Most corporations are copycats, especially in web. Every big corpration that goes standard helps me as someone who has been lobbying for standards-based design in my company for the past year. Coupled with the Adam Howell hanging up the Weekly Standards, I think the community needs to keep sending these signals across the wires. I know I come to your site daily for content, and appreciate the listings.

Anne

November 15, 2004 at 12:20 PM

Well, HTML isn't really "tag soup". I'm just saying there is not really a need for XHTML at the moment. HTML is fine.

Jim

November 15, 2004 at 3:42 PM

Andrew

November 16, 2004 at 8:10 AM

As a member of the eds.com team, I'm of course very flattered and pleased to see our re-launch make the pages of DW and WG. But I also know that similar attention for projects by Sprint and others in the past helped underline the importance of this approach for us. I understand and appreciate where you're coming from Nick, but we might be earlier in this process (as a Web community) than you think. As many big projects as we've seen in the past 18 months or so, how many Fortune 100 companies have actually made use of Web standards on their corporate Web site? It's perhaps a qualitative analysis to some degree, but I hope we'd all agree it's still a noteworthy minority. A pardade? Not necessary. A simple "check this out" link? Nice, and appropriate ... and appreciated. I certainly hope we continue to see this type of simple acknowledgement for sites of all kinds as they move toward Web standards. This decision is one that we make because it's the right thing to do, not because it's sexy. And I think it's only encouraging for everyone in the Web community to see a small acknowledgement for those who choose to do the right thing. To me these announcements are like a proverbial fund raiser thermometer. Without them, it's easy to forget how we're progressing as a Web community. Thanks for noticing our small contribution!

Colm

November 17, 2004 at 12:51 AM

If you toggle the style sheets off you'll see they did a nice job of providing browser upgrade info for outdated browsers. That's all very well and good for older browsers, but what about our friends using a screen reader? That could get very annoying reading that everytime you go to a new page...

Chris Jensen

November 18, 2004 at 10:16 AM

Nick, I would encourage you to continue posting notable CSS redesigns. While I might agree with your thought that CSS redesign by the giants has lost some of its original groundbreaking newsworthiness, I believe our community still benefits from the opportunity to see who's doing it and how. It's still unique and I am always curious to follow the link in such a post. Thanks!