Readership Question: Have you ever contributed?

November 24, 2004 at 7:40 PM

This week's readership question is a question related to the whole web community and not specifically just Digital Web Magazine. Since its Thanksgiving here in the states I thought I would ask about giving back to the community. With that said, this week's readership question is: Have you ever contributed to your favorite community site? Why? Don't get me wrong, this is not a guilt trip for anyone who hasn't contributed articles or anything to this site. I am just curious because there are many sites and projects out there like MetaFilter, Mozilla, EFF, WordPress, and so forth that look for community contributions either of monetary form, articles, staff help, or otherwise. So, through this question I hope to gain some insight into the logic of the community and why we do or do not contribute to our favorite sites. Oh, and please, no need to brag about what you have done, a simple no or yes with an explanation of why will work fine.

Comments

Andrew Arch

November 24, 2004 at 10:06 PM

Yes - contributed to many W3C/WAI documents and to the GAWDS site. I find I tend to contribute more to mailing lists and assisting people that way, though I used to maintain a community group site. We also run our own creative commons based accessibility tool site at www.nils.org.au/ais/web/resources/toolbar/

lee

November 24, 2004 at 10:43 PM

Yep, donated money to Movable Type (before it morphed into a corporation), Digital Web, Jay Allen (for MT Blacklist), evolt.org, SpamCop, and all kinds of people who offer software or services for no money that I find useful. I maintain a category in DMOZ. I contribute to the discussion (or used to) at Boxes and Arrows and DW and places such as cssvault.

Chris Messina

November 24, 2004 at 10:50 PM

After reading a post on Steven Garrity's blog, I decided to volunteer on random Mozilla design projects. I'm now the designer and admin on Spread Firefox!

ChrisP

November 25, 2004 at 12:51 AM

No - probably because I am just one of the little people - people who are interested, but do not have sufficient knowledge to contribute.

Jonathan Snook

November 25, 2004 at 7:16 AM

I've tried to provide a little bit of design work to some open source projects. It's something that I'd like to do more of but just haven't taken that extra step to do it.

Chris Moritz

November 25, 2004 at 9:16 AM

Yes - but I contributed much more in the past; that is, lengthier responses than I tend to write now.

Roger Johansson

November 25, 2004 at 10:46 AM

Posting comments and contributing to newslists, yes. Writing articles, no. I've thought about submitting an article or two to places like ALAP or DW, but I don't know. I'd need to come up with something really interesting and new to write about first.

Podz

November 25, 2004 at 10:57 AM

Yup. I've done a few bits for WordPress. Why ? Because someone asked a question one day and I thought "I can do that". So I did.

Scott Swabey

November 25, 2004 at 11:02 PM

I started posting responses to coding and markup questions on a couple of forums, and ended up being nominated as Moderator for ASPFree Forums. I'm working on converting everybody to XHTML, one post at a time :)

Mary Lynn

November 26, 2004 at 6:39 AM

Yes. I feel it's necessary to contribute when I can so that my favorite sites will continue to be strong and helpful for us all.

John B

November 29, 2004 at 8:28 AM

It's more complex than yes or no. It's yes AND no. On most web design-oriented sites, no. I'm a leech who has little to contribute. On some hobby-oriented sites, yes. I generally have more knowledge to share and do so often, as well as contributing money occasionally to sites I want to support. On sites like Metafilter, no, and probably won't ever since everytime I think of something, someone beat me to it.