Show me the content!

February 14, 2005 at 4:00 PM

Here is an interesting topic about blogs and content from del.icio.us and Flickr. Don't get me wrong, I love both of those services and I think they provide some interesting perspectives on people I know online... however, there becomes a point where enough is enough. Don't tell me there is a new post if it's just a photo. Don't tell me you have written up something cool if it's just a link. Both Matt Haughey and Matt Jones have written about this issue recently. I must admit that out of all of my feeds (whose numbers I have long since lost track of after 266) the feeds that actually produce content and deliver it to me in a timely fashion are the ones I keep reading. Perhaps we all should consider moving our del.icio.us and Flickr content to their own feed(s)?

Comments

-b-

February 14, 2005 at 4:13 PM

Word.

Richard Ziade

February 14, 2005 at 9:38 PM

Good points. I think what's needed is an easy way to enable clients that consume feeds with the ability to provide a simple filtering mechanism. I drafted something about a month ago called RSS Traits. It's an RSS 2.0 module that provides a lightweight taxonomy namespace that allows categorization of feeds. www.basement.org/modules/triats This way, you can deliver one feed but allow the client to filter/sort it against the taxonomies established within that feed's payload.

Richard Ziade

February 14, 2005 at 9:39 PM

Sorry, URL is incorrect - http://www.basement.org/modules/traits

February 14, 2005 at 10:47 PM

Richard, very interesting work here. I still, however, feel these are two (or three) seperate beasts here. Several sites are already providing a feed for the blog content and a seperate feed for just their link roll. Digital Web Magazine has a feed for blog content and a seperate feed for article content. I don't see why we can't add a feed for photos, or better yet, just link the Flickr feed URL right from our site where the Flickr photos show up.

kris

February 15, 2005 at 11:56 AM

This is a tough one. I'm torn. I see both sides of it. Dave Shea had some great posts and response on this last week too.