Reader Survey Results

March 3, 2005 at 10:19 PM

The results from the 2004 Digital Web Magazine readership survey are now online. I think one of the most interesting pieces of information here is the number of readers who are now using Firefox. In addition other helpful information surfaced such as the method at which readers tend to look for articles on Digital Web Magazine. The average user is:

...still with me? OK, well go check out the results in more depth now. Once again, thanks to everyone who took the time to complete the survey, I am forever grateful. Extra special thanks to Krista Stevens for putting all the hard work into making the survey possible and the results clear.

Comments

Chris Ward

March 4, 2005 at 2:21 AM

Awesome feedback don't you think? I personally didn't join in on the survey, no idea why... maybe I just didn't notice it being publicised. It will be interesting to see how you use these findings to help make digital-web an even better (if at all possible) place! I visit often enough to not have a particular need to sign up to the newsletter (sorry!), but thats only because I assume that the content is the same as what's on the front page. Also something to consider is that you have 420(?) user's feedback, you just need to work out if these are ALL of your regular visitors. Any changes to cater for these users might not truely represent everyone else. But then again, these 420 people cared enough for you guys to fill out your form. Just a thought. :)

March 4, 2005 at 7:04 AM

490 responces, yes. I agree about the responces not being all of the users. According to the site stats it's only a small portion of them (we have an estimated 598,000 unique users a month). But you know, I think we did everything in our power to get readers to complete the survey; posted several times to the blog, mentioned in every newsletter, IMed people, and even emailed people when the survey was running. If people aren't going to "show up" then they can't expect us to "cater to them." It's really that simple.

bj

March 4, 2005 at 7:31 AM

pretty good estimation... fits me, but i am from sweden and surfs at 1280*960 ... : )

Chris Moritz

March 4, 2005 at 7:49 AM

Surveys will always represent a sampling of users. I find it hard to believe that people could have missed the call to fill out the survey. Nick pimped that thing like a madman for months! :)

Krista Stevens

March 4, 2005 at 8:26 AM

Typically, when conducting surveys, a 10% return is considered a good response rate. I know this to be true of typical, paper based surveys. I wonder if any of our readers might have any data on what a good online survey response rate might be. Anyone?

Paul

March 4, 2005 at 8:51 AM

"Has a DLS connection?" This is a great site; much appreciated here. Thanks.

Small Paul

March 4, 2005 at 9:26 AM

C'mon Paul, give the guy a break! Although, what's a responce when it's at home? :) Sorry, I'm being silly. Nick, you rock. Digital Web is the best of its kind out there. Beats A List Apart into a cocked hat. Does something unspeakable to Sitepoint from a very great height. Etc.

March 4, 2005 at 10:50 AM

hehe, ok, typo has been corrected. Anyway, I really don't think we are beating A List Apart or SitePoint by any means (you forgot, I was a producer for A List Apart for about a year). Look at their traffic and reach, by far more than Digital Web Magazine. We consider both of those sites to be sister sites, not competition. They do some stuff better than we do, so we leave that kind of stuff to them to publish and vice versa. It's all about sharing the community space, not competing in it.

Jough Dempsey

March 7, 2005 at 4:18 PM

I didn't answer the survey, but it looks like I didn't need to, as more than 90% of the results fit me to a T. I didn't realise that I was Digital Web's target market until I saw those results.