If you can't beat them...

April 18, 2005 at 6:17 PM

If you can't beat them, buy them... or so the story goes for Adobe which announced today that it will be purchasing Macromedia for approximately $3.4 billion. While this may not seem like that significant of an event to some within the industry I can assure you that we reached a turning point in the industry today.. or the end of an era to look at it from a different perspective. I don't know about you but I am clinging on to my copy of Homesite 5.0 for dear life... though I will still continue to experiment with Studio MX. Todd Dominey has some comments on the news and John Hanna suggest a new logo treatment. And for all of those wondering, no this is not a late April Fool's joke... it's as real as it gets.

Comments

John

April 18, 2005 at 7:38 PM

Yes Nick, get a lock and key for your copy of Homesite. There has to be a huge rationalisation of the software range this new monopoly will present and we wont all get what we want. As Tim Bray says, referring to Flash, but it will happen to other applications..But Adobe, historically, has been good at focusing on what works and dropping the distractions

Jason G

April 19, 2005 at 6:03 AM

Now, Macromedia hasn't given HomeSite/ColdFusion Studio much attention over the last few years anyway (you can hardly call the minor updates in 5.5 anything of significance.) It is a shame too because it is still my favorite HTML editor on Windows. I use it daily at work. It just needs some attention to bring in some new features (such as CSS code hinting). But alas ... I don't see Adobe doing that if Macromedia didn't care enough.

Ste Grainer

April 19, 2005 at 6:16 AM

Heh, my copy of Homesite is about the only Windows software I've kept since I switched to Mac almost two years ago. It seems like MacAdobromediaSoftInc (tm) has quite a few logo possibilities. I've got one of the leaked possibilities on my site, too. :)

chris ward

April 19, 2005 at 6:29 AM

Does this mean flash documents will take a futher 2 minutes to load, ala' splash screens?

April 19, 2005 at 8:11 AM

It does bring up a lot of questions about Flash (a non profitable product) and SVG (a great product will little industry buy in). And yes, I agree, Macromedia hasn't exactly given fair treatment to those who like just text editors (AKA the Homesite users). Which is interesting because I am fairly certain a huge chunk of the web industry just wants a damn good text editor to do XHTML, ASP, CFML, etc. Macromedia's answer to this was to include the Homesite engine (or something that is close, but not close enough to it) in Dreamweaver... I think in hopes to get Homesite users to start buying Dreamweaver... but it doesn't work that way. Once a hand coder, always a hand coder.

Ed

April 19, 2005 at 8:46 AM

I was a diehard Homesite junkie myself up until the past year when I moved mostly over to TopStyle Pro. It has much of what I liked about Homesite for HTML and then does an excellent job with CSS. The only thing I really miss in it from Homesite is the search/replace across folders, but that is on the upcoming features list. :)

Mike Gale

April 19, 2005 at 4:29 PM

For the die hard Homesite fanatics all is not doom and gloom. It still works and I found myself fixing a buggy XHTML editing component in version 5.5 a few days ago. (In other words you can "self maintain" this insanely great product.) Even without support it can probbaly keep you going for some time. I like the utf-8 support (in Homesite). This one factor keeps me from using TopStyle. When that gets fixed, I'll see about switching! I never used Font Chameleon, and regret that. Sounds like this is what I would love to see on every machine out there. The page designer can also design the font. WOW! Adobe bought the company and drove a stake through it's heart. (Anyone know of a resurrection of that idea?)