Steve Jobs Turns Down WebVisions Keynote Address

May 1, 2005 at 10:45 PM

As some of you may have already heard, it is true, Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs has declined to provide the keynote address for this year's WebVisions conference. You can read all of the details in the press release (PDF) that was issued today, but I will pull out a few key points here. Executive Director Brad Smith, president of Hot Pepper Studios who helps run the conference each year in Portland, Oregon is quoted as saying he was ready to take "extreme measures" and further explains that "when he turned down our $100 gift certificate to Powell's Technical Books, we knew it was a lost cause." The release goes on to say how shocked the conference promoters are as well as the rest of the industry about this news. Personally I wonder if Jobs' status and rapport within the community is sliding. Rumor has it that VH1 will be represented at this year's WebVisions, maybe they will offer him a role on The Surreal Life now that he's no longer in the spotlight.

Comments

Wesley Walser

May 2, 2005 at 5:24 AM

Did they want him for free? I can't seem to see whats wrong with someone with such a history in the industry turning down $100.00. I don't see the extreme measure. Not to mention the fact that this was a part of their press release, this seems like a very rude thing to do. You offer someone a speaking position, and when they turn it down you put a negative comments in your press release. It's one thing to say "well were really sorry we couldn't deliver the speaker we wanted for this thing", but to go and say "this guys career is slipping because he won't speak for us". What kind of approach is that?

Johhny Meuller

May 2, 2005 at 6:01 AM

I really hope this is some kind of joke. You make yourself and "WebVisions" sound really immature.

-b-

May 2, 2005 at 7:31 AM

So this is a diss about the iCon book? I'm not sure what anyone is surprised about that. Apple is Steve and Steve is Apple, you piss off Steve and your books get pulled.

May 2, 2005 at 7:51 AM

Man, first the Opera CEO swims from Norway to the US, then this. No, this has nothing to do with the iCon book. You guys really need to get a since of humor. Seriously, go see a live standup show, or turn on Jon Stewart. Do you seriously think we'd offer him only a $100 gift certificate to Powell's for payment? Come on people.

-b-

May 2, 2005 at 8:26 AM

ok. got it. I misread it, as the iCon controversy is currently being covered on the news. I thought that's what you were referring to. Anywho, WebVisions looks kicking this year and I'll be there.

Jennie

May 2, 2005 at 3:39 PM

SNORT!!!

Sean

May 3, 2005 at 4:39 AM

So...that article was a joke? Because if so, it was a dumb joke.

Brad

May 3, 2005 at 4:11 PM

Ok, maybe only Steve and I are laughing? He was very polite about not being able to do the keynote. But maybe it should have been funnier or more obvious that it was a joke.

May 6, 2005 at 1:34 PM

I kind of thought the $100 gift certificate to Powell's Technical Books was a dead giveaway that this was a joke. I mean come on.