Win a free pass to SXSWi 2006

January 9, 2006 at 3:58 PM

Ok, so the title is a little gimmicky, but it's true. SXSW Interactive has issued Digital Web Magazine a free pass to the 2006 event. True you will still need to pay for airfare and hotel, but you can't argue with free... besides, there are always plenty of web geeks to split a room with, just ask around. With that said, you're probably thinking I should shut up and just tell you how to get a free ticket. Well, it's simple. Post a comment to this blog post and tell us why you think Digital Web Magazine should give you the free ticket. Points will be awarded for originality, sob stories, and evidence of participation in acts of good will to other fellow web geeks. So what are you waiting for, comment away. Note, you may want to make sure you include your email address so we can contact you should you win.

Comments

Chris Ortenburger

January 9, 2006 at 4:54 PM

I think DigiWeb Magazine should give me the free ticket because initiative should be awarded. Unless I am mistaking, I am the first one to post a comment to this story. If the early bird gets the worm, then feed me, damn it. :) You need someone who will use the ticket to its fullest, not sleep through all the festivities.

Esteban Utz

January 9, 2006 at 6:17 PM

Hey! digiWeb, you guys are awesome! and giving away this free pass rocks! I think I'm going to win it. Thanks!

Scott

January 9, 2006 at 7:34 PM

I've never left the northeastern portion of the U.S. and where I'm from there's precious little interest in modern web development techniques. Please help me turn my world upside-down by sending me to the opposite corner of the country and exposing me to true visionaries in the field. I would sure appreciate it.

Christoph Wagner

January 9, 2006 at 10:05 PM

You can save the world, it's easy(tm). For many many years The Beast was sleeping, fought by an ancient wizard and finally beaten. It's evil plan to conquer Earth and wipe humanity from the face of Earth had failed. But now, it has awaken! On the first January of 2006 the Curse that held The allmighty Beast down was broken and The Beast is roaming on our plane of existence again. But... Don't give up, cause you can save the World! It's easy(tm). For two reasons: 1. The Beast has an E-Mail Adress: LurkingDeath@web.de 2. The Beast will vanish for ever if it can once visit the SXSWi 2006. Save the World. PS: Sorry for mistakes, i'm no native speaker.

Dan

January 10, 2006 at 2:49 AM

Release the beast! For the love of god, RELEASE THE BEAST!

Simon Jessey

January 10, 2006 at 4:12 AM

Hey, sailor! Me give you BIG love. Very clean! Oh sorry - wrong website.

AJP

January 10, 2006 at 5:19 AM

Why should I go? Other than obvious seminars and the speakers and the people and *GLAVEN*, it's to buy the guys at DWM a round after Day 1, Day 2, and possibly every day I'm there. Plus how else is a fan boy supposed to meet so many blogebrities?

Caroling Lee

January 10, 2006 at 6:14 AM

Hi Digital Web: I think you should give ME the free pass to SXSW Interactive this year beause: I've lived in Austin for three years and never been to the interactive festival (boo hoo). Every year - I've managed to squirm my way into the festival (i.e. fake press, real press pass, friends in low places), but this year, I wanna get in for real! I missed the Bruce Sterling party AND Malcolm Gladwell's keynote speech and if I can go this year, I may be able to reconcile those emotional losses (another boo hoo). AND, it looks like I might be the first girl to post!!!! help a sister out...

Zack Kirby

January 10, 2006 at 6:23 AM

Dear DW, I work for an IT contracting firm. Check that...I work for the world's CHEAPEST IT firm. That's right. The firm is SO cheap, it takes an act of congress just to get them to pay for a 1-day conference, even when I offer to pay my travel and overnight expenses. The request was DENIED! What IT firm won't invest $100 to train their employees and strengthen their skillset? I mean, really! Anyway, I'd probably have to pay my hotel and airfare anyway, but it sure would help out a web geek with 3 small mouths to feed if I didn't have to pay for the conference pass too. Yours Truly, Zack

Chip Diffendaffer

January 10, 2006 at 7:32 AM

Greetings Nick and DW! Last year's SXSW was an great experience for me. Meeting and interacting with peers around the world (including you, Nick, at one of the many night functions) was the highlight. I changed universities in the fall, and plans to go to this year's event were approved until an order from above froze my travel budget. With my new job, I am charged with a complete overhaul of our university web presence by August, and SXSW would be the perfect interlude to the project - plus a chance to rejuvenate myself and catch up on the freshest ideas to put into play. I made a lot of friends last year that I very much want to see again. A free conference registration would probably tip the scales enough to get my travel and hotel approved. And if not, I would cover the rest. Bottom line - I don't want to miss interacting with the panels, the Box-Model lunch with Molly and friends, and the camaraderie of everyone involved. SXSW 2005 convinced me to stay in the web biz, and I really, really want to go back. Salud! Chip D

Amity

January 10, 2006 at 5:50 PM

I think you should give my husband a ticket because he's an amazing man. I have fibromyalgia and he supports both of us since I can't work and disability is on the third year of putting me off. He's a senior PHP engineer for a company here in Austin and works his tail off. He loves me and makes sure to spend time with me as well. We have two ferrets, two cats and a dog and with all that we can't afford the tickets but he should totally go. I think that about covers it!

Chris Griego

January 10, 2006 at 9:40 PM

My free ticket is in the bag because: * I know the true definition of Web 2.0, but I'm not telling anyone unless I get to go. * Without said ticket, my ability to go is highly questionable, despite my ability to simply drive to Austin. * I have family in the area and can simply drive from Dallas to get there, leaving only the ticket... * I couldn't go last year because classes interferred, but I spent that entire week depressed. * You (Nick Finck, Digital Web's Publisher) have told me you think I should go. * Andy Budd (Digital Web contributer) has publically encouraged me to attend. * I was the first person to use the "ajax" del.icio.us tag for something other than cleaner or sports. * I pimp Jeremy Keith's, Zeldman's, Molly's, Dave Shea's and Jason Fried's books (and call out Jeffrey Veen's book) on my Squidoo 'Essential Web Developer Bookshelf' lens. * It's one of my year-old 43Things. * I could meet most of my 43People, who I have all lovingly tagged, photographed, and stalked (digitally), who could then finally rest easy at night, knowing that I was finally able to add other people to my list to obsess about. * If you agree with afirmative action, then you should know that while I may look white, I'm really Hispanic. * If you don't agree with affirmative action, then just look at the photo, I'm white! * Hopefully somebody at SXSWi can help me figure out if I'm a designer, developer, front-end architect, experience designer, or perhaps simply unlabelable. * I'm just beginning my professional career and want to get off to the right start.

Blair

January 12, 2006 at 9:00 AM

I think I should get the ticket because I've *never* been to any sort of conference. Never. Ever. To make matters worse, I've *never* had a two-sided design/developement conversation with anyone offline. Never. Ever. Why? I live in the middle of freaking nowhere, devoid of people (I could end the sentence right there, I could) who share my interests. The icing on the cake? Actually, there is no icing. I mean, whenever anyone says that, it's generally either their strongest argument, or a real let down. I've already stated my strongest arguments, and I'd rather not be a let down. So I guess the the best reason why I should get the ticket is that there is no icing on the cake. Let that settle for a minute or two...

Brett The Inventer

January 12, 2006 at 3:11 PM

Well, seeing that I pretty much invented SXSWi and this (Digital Web Magazine & this contest of course) I should probably get the free pass, which, I might add, I invented.

John W.

January 13, 2006 at 2:43 PM

Did someone say "free SXSW pass" and "sob story" in the same post? Gee, those pertain to me since I work for a nonprofit that never seems to have the resources to send people from our Web team to cutting edge Internet conferences. And what makes my sob story even sadder is that I live in Montana where the Web is just a rumor. If that ain't enough, the work we do at the National Center for Appropriate Technology (OK, deep breath... I know that's a long name so let's just refer to it as NCAT) makes a real difference in the lives of people on the margins everyday. We manage over ten Web sites focusing on sustainable agriculture, renewable energy and energy efficiency, and sustainable communities... why right now we're sending a Small Farmer Disaster Specialist to work with minority and limited resource farmers as the try to recover in the hurricane devastated areas of LA and MS. I'm tearing up already... Add to all this the fact that if I am able to go to SXSW and learn some good stuff that I'll be able to bring that knowledge back to our Web staff and spread it far and wide. Talk about a sob story...

Lena

January 14, 2006 at 7:57 PM

I hope Chris Griego receives the pass. He has put quality effort into his Squidoo lens and 43 Things pages. Also, this statement is excellent: "Hopefully somebody at SXSWi can help me figure out if I'm a designer, developer, front-end architect, experience designer, or perhaps simply unlabelable."

Hayo Bethlehem

February 3, 2006 at 12:46 PM

I need to go there for one simple reason: * I need to beat up every single person that mentions web2.0 in a serious sentence. I will crush them with the mighty power of the clog.

February 3, 2006 at 2:06 PM

..that seems... rather disturbing Hayo.