Meryl.Net Redesign

June 17, 2006 at 9:16 PM

Digital Web Magazine contributing editor, Meryl Evans, tells me that she's launched the new design of her site Meryl.Net. The design, templates and information architecture was created by us at Blue Flavor. There may be a few validation errors here and there (some contents may have shifted in flight, there was a lot of tweaking after the fact in order to get things to work in the CMS) and you may see things like colors changing and icons changing or being removed as Meryl finalizes the site, but all in all I am pretty happy with the results and I think that Meryl is as well.

Comments

Ken Westin

June 18, 2006 at 1:41 AM

I am curious regarding the CMS, was this an existing package (WordPress, Drupal etc), or a homegrown system? Looks great by the way.

meryl

June 18, 2006 at 8:34 AM

It's WordPress. I wanted to keep MT -- long, long story. I'm just happy to be rid of the eyesore of a site from before. I'm thankful to Blue Flavor and Foof.

siftee

June 18, 2006 at 11:36 AM

i think it's absolute crap. how much did you pay?

meryl

June 19, 2006 at 6:21 AM

Why do you think it's bad, Siftee?

Tony

June 19, 2006 at 7:22 AM

I think blueflavor really let you down here. - The colour scheme is unattractive, at first I thought this was your old site, not the new one I was looking at. - I think they just did a rush job, there's the cliched drop shadow and gradient, how long did they take to design this site? I think you should ask the designer if he'd be happy with a site of this quality as HIS personal site, and see what he says. It's OKAY to me, but I dont think this is their best work by far, and I doubt it was worth what you paid them.

meryl

June 19, 2006 at 7:44 AM

Thanks for the honest feedback, Tony.

meryl

June 19, 2006 at 7:47 AM

By the way, please don't give Blue Flavor a hard time about it as the company was only supposed to spend a limited time on it and I thought it was well done considering. I'm seeing if I can add another color that isn't gray to add pop without doing major changes.

June 19, 2006 at 8:13 AM

Also, for the record this was a pro-bono project. Meryl did some copy editing for us and we put together a quick IA and design with templates.

June 19, 2006 at 8:23 AM

Tony, good comments. Thanks for explaining the issues you have with the design, it does help us. I think the colors can easily be changed if Meryl wishes to do so.

Tony

June 19, 2006 at 10:55 AM

Given the above-mentioned conditions, I think it's a pretty good job.