Win a Free Ticket to Web Directions North!

Carolyn Wood

November 20, 2006 at 1:28 PM

Win a full pass to Web Directions North, in Vancouver, Canada, February 6-10, 2007. Web Directions North features top-notch speakers including Dave Shea, Doug Bowman, Veerle Pieters, Andy Clarke, Cameron Moll, Kelly Goto, Jeremy Keith, Dan Cederholm, Derek Featherstone, John Allsopp, and many more. Making the gathering even cooler, the conference is followed by two days of optional skiing & snowboarding, with speakers and fellow conference goers, at the world-class mountains of Whistler-Blackcomb, home of the 2010 Winter Olympics. Not much of a skiier/snowboarder? Whistler-Blackcomb features plenty for beginners, too.

To win, submit your very own snowboard design! In the grand tradition of pro snowboarders and classic boardsmiths like Burton, Lib Tech, and Sims, we invite you to put your design skills into the most radical snowboard ever! Make it geeky, make it awesome, make it classic—whatever you want, it's your design.

Not a designer? We've got an option for you. Take a photo of yourself on an improvised snowboard of your own invention. Sure, it might not be snow-legal, but it could work in a pinch. The more inventive, the better! Absolutely can't attend? Enter your design anyway - join the fun! Plus, we just might have some other prizes.

We'll post the designs as we go along, and the winners on 12/11/2006. Good luck!

Comments

Joshua Lane

November 22, 2006 at 7:05 AM

Nifty! I might just give this a shot. One quick question: Do we retain ownership of the design?

valentina

November 23, 2006 at 11:14 AM

Great idea! I think you wanted to say "12/4/2007" and not "12/4/2006" :) Thank you for the opportunity! Valentina from Venice, Italy

valentina

November 23, 2006 at 11:15 AM

Ops! I made a mistake too! Now my url is correct, sorry

rosemary

November 24, 2006 at 6:36 AM

@velentina - 12/4/2007 would be after the conference... so that is not correct. I think the submissions end on the 4th of December 2006. In Australia we would write that 04/12/2006... but for some crazy reason some countries place the month before the day.

Carolyn Wood

November 24, 2006 at 1:27 PM

Hi folks, Yes, you retain ownership of your design....as long as we can show it during the contest and others who blog about it (like the conference organizers) can, too. But, we won't use it for anything else, and its yours. The contest ends December 4, 2006...it's a quick contest! More prizes to be announced shortly.

Somebody Else

November 24, 2006 at 3:38 PM

What material will the board be made of? (Bamboo?) Where are the screw-holes for the bindings?

Tiff Fehr

November 24, 2006 at 6:49 PM

@SomebodyElse -- snowboard materials and screw-holes would most likely follow industry standards. But we won't actually be creating a board. The contest for Web Directions North is based around the design of a snowboard, to try to give a snow-related twist to designing.

john Allsopp

November 26, 2006 at 2:19 PM

I like the idea of a snowboard made out of ice. Ironic. Might be a bit brittle I guess. Bamboo is ironic too :-) j

Somebody Else

November 26, 2006 at 9:46 PM

Heh, this will be the second graphic design creation I've done... Bamboo's ironic? It's definitely not brittle! Then again, the ice isn't brittle when you face-plant.^^;;

Joshua Lane

November 28, 2006 at 11:34 AM

Sweet. Thanks Carolyn... just wanted to make sure some snowboard company wasn't behind this trying to get free designs out of us ;)

john

December 6, 2006 at 1:49 PM

I can't believe I missed this... I've been working on a new snowboard design to be used with a noboard pad and tested the prototype last weekend! (With great success too, I might add) Oh well...