Top Five Articles for Presenters

February 17, 2007 at 12:00 PM

As someone who helps co-organize WebVisions every year and with my experience in speaking at conferences (not that I am an expert at it) I am often asked for advice on presenting at conferences.

There are thousands of sites out there that provide information for doing presentations, some really great ones… but there are a handful of well written and to-the-point articles that I feel shine brighter than the rest and are much more useful. So I have compiled my top five list of best articles for presenters. Here they are in order:

1. Seven Steps to Better Presentations by Jeff Veen

2. How To Give A Great Presentation by D. Keith Robinson

3. How to Get a Standing Ovation by Guy Kawasaki

4. Better Beginnings: how to start a presentation, book, article… by Kathy Sierra

5. The Problem With Presentations by Doc Searls

If you have come across some very useful articles or blog posts about presenting at conferences you feel should be shared with the rest of our readers please add a comment and let us know.

Comments

Nick Bradbury

February 17, 2007 at 8:35 AM

Glad you posted this, Nick - I rarely speak at conferences, and I'm just starting to sweat over the idea of speaking at SXSW next month. These links will come in handy!

February 17, 2007 at 9:33 AM

Whoa? Nick Bradbury will be in Austin for SXSW? No way! It will be like old times man, I am totally buying you a beer.

Nick Bradbury

February 18, 2007 at 6:57 AM

I'll take you up on that, Nick :)

Rand Lemley

February 19, 2007 at 10:41 AM

Came via Vitamin. Thanks for the great collection of useful stuff. I'm currently working on a couple corporate presentations (which - as a student - I have never done before) and these links have eased my mind a bit. Still sweating, but not like a pig.

Alex

February 19, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Presentations are an integral part of any business - small, medium, large. And it is a must to learn new tricks all the time to keep up with the industry. Thanks for the links.

david

February 20, 2007 at 12:43 PM

http://sociablemedia.typepad.com/beyond_bullets/ http://www.sociablemedia.com/

Ben Buchanan

February 20, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Because many people are really nervous about presenting, I think it clouds their thinking - they forget they can build those skills like any other :) I recommend keeping an eye on Presentation Zen (http://www.presentationzen.com/). Easy and approachable discussion on presentation skills.

Scott Gledhill

February 27, 2007 at 4:43 AM

I wrote an article on public speaking, How to Grok Public Speaking. This is my own experiences passed on and also has a list at the bottom of all the useful articles I have read on the subject (with a couple of new ones added from your list here, thanks :-) see you all at SxSW.

Girish Chandra

August 4, 2007 at 8:17 PM

Really good collection of articles. I hope you will provide some links about articles for listeners also...Thanks

Mic

September 7, 2007 at 11:55 AM

“Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.”
—Frank Zappa

Same for reading about public speaking. Only one thing helps, be it learning an instrument or public speaking: practice practice practice.

Become a public speaker

November 22, 2007 at 5:35 AM

Thanks for sharing these five – a great list! There’s also an interview Dave Lakhani did with Joel Bauer: