New Website Development App: Coda

Walker Hamilton

April 23, 2007 at 2:04 PM

A new website development application for OS X hit the scene today. It's called Coda and it's from Panic, those guys that make Transmit. It looks cool and it's getting plenty of attention from the bloggers that got in on the beta-testing.

Is taking the time to try to integrate it into one's workflow worth the chance that after the demonstration period is up, you might find that it's not worth it?

Comments

Giovanny Gutierrez

April 23, 2007 at 4:00 PM

This program is fantastic! Thanks for the heads up....

michael

April 26, 2007 at 7:34 AM

Tab between two or three applications just isn't enough an a chore to induce me to sacrifice the added power of the individual programs. Checking Coda out was worth an hour but not a month. It's a slick program but not a deep one like Textmate or BBEdit. It doesn't have the CSS power of CSSEdit or Style Master. FTP on a project isn't something I do every few minutes, and previewing is only a key command away. Like a Swiss Army Knife, Coda gives a lot of functionality in one package but none of its tools is as elegant as a dedicated one.

Simon

April 27, 2007 at 8:44 AM

Having used Coda for a whole day now I have to admit I like the program, but without the extra live view/xray and functionality of CSSEdit I think it still needs some work. The layout of the sites view is great iCandy and it works great with Transmit, but really I don't have a problem opening that up when I'm ready to use it.

Walker

April 29, 2007 at 8:48 AM

So, in the end I decided to switch to coda. A few things put me over the edge: 1. I use svn, but I use it from terminal, so I'm happy to have the terminal right there. 2. I never use any kind of graphical app to edit my css anyway, so I was more than happy to just have the text editor with syntax highlighting. 3. I love the fact that Coda has a more intuitive and easy to configure option for telling it what syntax a file format with extension .ext will contain. I emailed with Cabel Sasser and he let me know that a few of the issues I have with it will be taken care of shortly, namely, the absence of a tab switching keyboard shortcut. :( Oh, also, if you're doing pair or group programming on an app, the Bonjour group-edit functionality brought to the table by the use of CodingMonkey's SubEthaEdit within the app, is amazing!

Walker

April 29, 2007 at 8:49 AM

Oh, one last thing....the ftp portion of the app is fast as all hell! Panic has stated they'll integrate those speed increases back into Transmit, but until then...Coda has it beat!

Daniel Aleksandersen

May 1, 2007 at 11:06 PM

I love Coda! I am thinking of moving from KUbuntu and back to Mac OS just for this application. It is awesome! There is a definite learning curve, and I do not believe I have discovered all of it's features yet. However it is still very good, and it's session handling is superb! Well worth the 100 bucks!

Ben

May 2, 2007 at 4:34 PM

This is an application for hand-coders. If you are writing a PHP-HTML application, it rocks. Amazingly intuitive. Great FTP. Lots of fine touches. The best feature is its speed.

Victor

May 3, 2007 at 10:38 AM

I've been playing around with Coda for about a week now and I feel it's a middle of the road app. If you're a beginner to the web, it's not as visual or intuitive a program as something the likes Dreamweaver (I totally understand that it is in a different price league). I like the fact that all the pieces you need as a web coder are here, but they assume that you are wholly comfortable tinkering with the code. There are things with Coda that really irk me. I really don't like that you need to manually change the Syntax Mode when you're typing embedded CSS so you can get code assist to recognize the CSS. I don't really want to switch to the CSS tab to just get the right options for a single style definition. The split screen view is great, but it took some time to get used to it. I had to stop and take time to figure out how to open two files to work on them at the same time in split screen. It would also be nice to have both horizontal and vertical frames, or even... having two coda windows open at the same time. (I've got 2 monitors and I'm crazy that way). The books online also assume you know what you're looking for. There's no table of contents for the books, no how to's. Again, it's good for someone looking up what a function does or the syntax of something, but it doesn't aid in the learning process for beginners. On top of that, Coda isn't really enough for the very advanced user as well. It just doesn't compete with stand-alone products like TextMate, CSSEdit 2.5, or even Transmit (which totally Rocks!). Take the CSS, at first glance, it looks really handy, but when you look deeper, it's missing a few thing. The DOM inspector in the Preview section could be more useful if it showed the box model for that element (a la CSSEdit). The Snippets feature (which they call Clips) would be more useful if I could group clips into folders, one for xHTML, one for JavaScript and so on. The editor itself is just middle of the road, not great, not horrible. It's just ok. So, all in all. Coda 1.0 is too much program for the beginner and not enough program for the advanced coder.