IE8 To Put A Smile On Your Face

Matthew Pennell

December 19, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Via Molly comes word of one particular milestone that has previously eluded the Internet Explorer team — they have finally passed the Web Standards Project’s Acid2 test!

Hopefully someone will be getting a nice Christmas bonus…

Comments

Shani Elharrar

December 20, 2007 at 6:04 AM

Well, Standarts or not. I’m allready used to build sites that will be matched with IE6 and FF

Ie7 does the job allmost good as FF and isn’t too much complicated.

Lets hope Ie8 Will be the same as Ie7 or better, because I’m sick of trying my sites on each browser :(

Jason Wilson

December 20, 2007 at 6:20 AM

I’m withholding judgement until IE9 or IE10. It seems like they are possibly complying now simply because they realised that FireFox and Opera could pose a threat. This is a good move forward but if they secure their market share then settle in to their old ways it’s not worth it.

I’m glad to see them catching up but I think they’ve burnt us one too many times to assume they’re sincere right away.

ptamaro

January 4, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Cautiously optimistic.

Neil Garb

January 8, 2008 at 8:44 AM

I share Jason and ptamaro’s sentiments. The more buzz I hear about IE8’s passing the Acid2 test the more I sense that the next IE installment is going to be yet another browser that I have to worry about when I’m CSSing.

I found it particularly interesting that the Acid2 test was specifically mentioned in the actual commit description. It’s as if passing the test was a development goal as opposed to a byproduct of standards compliance.

Josh A.

January 14, 2008 at 1:26 PM

I understand the still present annoyance of working with IE 6 and 7, but I think people should give Microsoft a break. I use and love Firefox, but IE 8’s passing of Acid2 is more than I can say for FF right now.
There was nothing wrong with IE 6 compared to the other browsers around in its time, but the main issue is it hasn’t been updated for six years. In IE 7 Microsoft chose to focus on user experience, which is fair enough really.

Tomm Eriksen

January 22, 2008 at 6:34 AM

Josh A. wrote:

> I use and love Firefox, but IE 8’s
> passing of Acid2 is more than I can
> say for FF right now.

Well, it’s also more than you can say for IE right now :)

Firefox 3 Beta 2 passes the Acid2 test, and have for quite sometime.

Code that passed the Acid2 test was checked in to the mozilla trunk codebase in December 2006.