New Issue: JavaScript Date Methods

Tiff Fehr

March 4, 2008 at 10:00 PM

…No, I don’t mean getting yourself a date via JavaScript. You’re on your own on that one. But Digital Web is happy to have our newest contributor Lawrence O’Sullivan offer his advice on Extending The JavaScript Date Object with User Defined Methods. JavaScript’s internal date-manipulation skills are a bit underdeveloped, but Lawrence brings it all under control with some smart prototype inheritance. (Insert your own joke about dating/prototype-inheritance here.)

In other news, we’re running a contest with Beanstalk! Between now and next issue, you can win a free account on Beanstalk, a new, friendly version of the popular source control software Subversion. Beanstalk also offers collaboration tools and built-in integration with Basecamp, Campfire and the like. For more information about version/source control and backups, as well as Beanstalk’s full list of features, visit their site.

To enter the contest, simply answer the following question in the comments on this post:

Why do you need a reliable source control system the most?

Prizes:

Digital Web staff and the folks behind Beanstalk will be following the contest entries and selecting the winning answers! We’ll post the winners with next issue’s post, so stay tuned!

Comments

Scott Nellé

March 5, 2008 at 5:32 PM

If I’m going to manage an open source project to develop a JavaScript tool to get web geeks a date, I’m going to need to organize all of the contributions. I’d expect something like that to garner a lot of developer interest, and I’m going to need reliable source control to manage it all.

Adam Kirkwood

March 12, 2008 at 9:37 PM

A good reliable source control system is absolutely crucial to any type of situation where you are programming solo or in collaboration. Being able to rollback back changes, merge, branch, and tag is definitely helpful and helps encourage experimentation and growth when you don’t have to worry (as much) about bringing code together from different sources (other developers)!

I happen to see a reliable source control system can mean the difference between success and failure in a a development environment.

Tom

March 13, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Because an “Undo” for life hasn’t been invented yet, and I’ll just have to settle for some SVN.

Matt Gillooly

March 13, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Sometimes you pull a Vista and need to get back to XP. (Well, I’m a Mac user, but you get the point.)

Cody

March 13, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Clients. They can’t make up their mind or stick with their decisions.

David

March 13, 2008 at 4:03 PM

I have just started consulting/freelancing and this svn solution would be a perfect place to keep my code. And clients love basecamp…

James Beard

March 13, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Because three months from now, that defunct method we absolutely, positively won’t need anymore will be a crucial part of generating that twice yearly report that we absolutely, positively have to get done by the end of the day.

Let’s make sure we comment the code this time, eh chaps?

We need reliable source control for the simple reason that we are not the machines :)

Mark

March 14, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Because Apple just hasn’t invented Time Machine for Source Code yet.
More serious: because except for the reliability of never losing any code, working with a source control system makes managing project easier. In Ruby on Rails, plugins are usually added to an application by a reference to the plugin’s subversion repository. Internally we also merge new versions of open source systems (e.g. Drupal) to customized versions running for clients. Merging allows this process to go very quickly and without losing any customizations. That just isn’t possible with a normal file explorer or it’d require a lot of manual work.

Kirk Friggstad

March 14, 2008 at 1:04 PM

As an independent developer / consultant, I need source control, period. I could host my own Subversion repository on my development machine, but that’s just keeping too many eggs in one basket – too easy to lose both the working copy and the repository in case of disaster (hard drive crash, physical calamity, etc.). Having an off-site repository also makes it easier to access from remote locations – no tweaking firewall rules on my router and worrying about possible security risks.

Sudhanshu

March 14, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Because as the Zen master said to his student one evening – the soul of the startup is in the source control.

And I would prefer to have my soul in a safe, reliable place online.

miklb

March 15, 2008 at 7:35 AM

Because I want to develop for an open source project and want to be able to document how teams can use tools on the web to collaborate (Basecamp + Beanstalk) in this case.

Zac

March 15, 2008 at 6:46 PM

I’ve tried to use SVN before and the hassle has always been too much and I’ve given up. I’ve got code spread across 10 or so drives/devices and whenever I make changes I always end up hating myself for not saving the old version. Beanstalk was easy enough to setup and use, that I overcame my stubbornness and got it working with TortoiseSVN in under fifteen minutes.

I never even knew how much I would value real revision control, since I could never overcome the learning curve. Beanstalk pushed me right over that hump.

PB

March 17, 2008 at 9:45 PM

SVN scares me. I know I need to use source control, but because raw SVN seems too complicated to setup and maintain, I’ve been postponing the inevitable.

However, Beanstalk looks like the perfect user-friendly way to have a source control system instantly available.

Carsten Rose Lundberg

March 21, 2008 at 11:08 PM

We’re a versatile internet solutions house and reliable source control is vital to our business. Being able to see exactly what was changed, when and by whom is essential. For such a system to be trusted it goes without saying that it needs to be reliable.

And yes we could run SVN in-house, but rather than staying on top of a Subversion installation we prefer staying on top of our projects.

Well...

April 14, 2008 at 4:31 AM

Did someone win this contest?

Matthew Pennell