Digital Web Magazine closes its doors

March 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM

As some of our regular readers have guessed, yes it is true. Digital Web Magazine has ceased publication. For the reasons cited in Time To Change, it was clear to us that what we had was no longer working.

We called upon both our staff and readers for ideas on what we could change. We received a lot of good feedback. One thing that resonated with me was that out of all of the ideas that had the most potential to solving our current problems, none of them were about insignificant changes to what we have.

It doesn’t make sense to take what we have here and try to change it into something it is not. It makes more sense to simply start something else that is new. For this reason I feel that Digital Web Magazine will always be what it is; an online publication about the web industry.

So, today, I am sad to say that Digital Web Magazine has officially ceased publication. The site will remain in place with all of its articles hopefully far longer than their value is recognized.

I will continue to curate the site, maintaining it so it remains online and fixing broken links and typos. Most of my effort and time, just like the rest of the former staff, will be put into other projects, other websites and other publications.

I want to take a moment to personally thank each and every staff member, editor, designer, photographer, illustrator, information architect, database developer, web developer, web programmer, contributing writer, columnist and last but perhaps most important, each and every reader who ever read our publication. We couldn’t have made it this far without you. I genuinely mean that.

If you want to respond with your thanks and appreciation, feel free to leave a comment here, post to twitter, post on Facebook, or you can always email me directly. If you prefer to say something in person, find me and the rest of the staff at SXSW Interactive. Thanks again everyone! Last one out turns off the lights.

Comments

M. Jackson Wilkinson

March 8, 2009 at 4:07 AM

Wow, didn’t see that coming. You guys have done an amazing job creating a terrific publication and resource over the years. It’s been a major part of shaping the web into what it’s become — and what it’s still becoming.

Thanks for keeping the resource up into the future, Nick. The articles here will continue to be references for both myself and my students.

Eric Meyer

March 8, 2009 at 4:19 AM

Sorry to hear DW is exiting the scene as an active player, Nick, and kudos to your commitment to keep the site up and available. Here’s to all the years of hard work moving the web and professional conversation forward, and to everyone who helped DW be everything it was.

Jeroen Mulder

March 8, 2009 at 4:43 AM

Indeed, I feared this would happen after “Time To Change” was published. It’s hard world for sites like this and it’s an incredible shame that the hard work put into this place has to end like this. Nonetheless, I want to thank you and all contributors for one of the best web related resources in the world.

Take care and good luck :-)

Michael Moncur

March 8, 2009 at 4:43 AM

Sorry to hear that, Nick, but I mostly want to say congratulations on creating something that will remain useful for a long, long time. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next…

Zeldman

March 8, 2009 at 5:23 AM

Shocked and sorry to see this. DW will always be an inspiration and a vital piece of the history of our medium. Thanks for the many years of service and for your commitment to maintaining this great site. Congratulations on this achievement and the many to come. We will all be watching.

David Bell

March 8, 2009 at 5:33 AM

Really, really sorry to hear this news. Good luck to everyone concerned, always found the DW articles informative. Good luck all.

John F Croston III

March 8, 2009 at 5:47 AM

It’s with a heavy heart that I say “THANK YOU” to you and all the other great individuals that helped make Digital Web Magazine. I’m glad that are planning on keeping such a great resource up-to-date and available for as long as you can.

Bill Leonard

March 8, 2009 at 6:17 AM

Web workers just lost a great resource, I know it played a large role keeping myself and my team on top of things in our industry.

Good luck going forward!

Jin

March 8, 2009 at 6:35 AM

I’m saddened to see this happening. DW has always been a great resource over the years. Please keep us informed about future projects you are starting.

Best luck with everything, and thanks.

Matt Robin

March 8, 2009 at 7:09 AM

While sad that DW needs stop its activity, it is also clear that the action wasn’t taken lightly. I wish everyone involved with DW all the best in their future works and think everyone should be grateful for how great DW has been (for so long).

Cheers Nick!

Matt

Simon

March 8, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Sad news… Good luck going foward!

Jeff Mackey

March 8, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Sad to hear the news. This website was one of the first I ever read on a regular basis when I got into website design. Best of luck to all who were involved with the publication—I’ll miss the writing!

Yuya Saito

March 8, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Wow…sad to hear this too.
I live in Japan, and you might guess it, it’s like 3 years behind of the U.S in web tech wise.
I’ve been helped a lot, DW certainly has been a mentor to me.

Everyone works for DW, all I can say is thank you.
Best of luck from Japan too.

Vladimir Carrer

March 8, 2009 at 8:01 AM

I’m sorry to hear that you are closing, but is it really necessary to do that? “The value of well-edited and reviewed content” is always(more then ever) appreciated. Yes with twitter you have speed but not necessary quality, 90% of all blog post are just repeating the news of sites like DW. Please, reconsider your decision! You don’t have to publish every week or month just make shore that quality remains high.

Virginia DeBolt

March 8, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Really sorry to see this happen to one of the longest-running and most helpful web publications on the web. Quality was always the main priority here, and you will be sorely missed.

Martin Ringlein

March 8, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Really sad to hear the news. I “grew up” on Digital Web Magazine, wow.

Jason Beaird

March 8, 2009 at 8:38 AM

I’m shocked and sad to hear this news. Like Martin, I also “grew up” on Digital Web. Thanks for the many years of inspiration and learning. We’ll miss you, DW.

Dan

March 8, 2009 at 8:39 AM

When industry heavyweights such as Eric Meyer and Jeffrey Zeldman are ones of the first to comment, you know this place was something special.

Thanks, Nick for all the fantastic articles. Certainly helped make me the developer I am today.

Dan Drinkard

March 8, 2009 at 9:03 AM

This is going to leave a big hole in my RSS reader…
Thanks for all the helpful and inspiring content.

Alex Giron

March 8, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Bummer. I’ve been a fan for a long time, sad to see it go. However as they say, one door closes and another one opens. I’m confident you will start fresh with something amazing. No one can deny your love for the community, thanks for all the years you put into it

Stephen

March 8, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I will miss Digital Web and I am sad to see it go. Why not sell the site to someone else so it keeps going?

Neil Ford

March 8, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Sad news! Many thanks or all the articles and effort over the years – it has been very much appreciated.

James McNally

March 8, 2009 at 11:28 AM

This is a sad day. Digital Web let me cut my teeth as a writer and helped me learn so much about web design at the same time. Hopefully something even more awesome can rise from the ashes. Thanks Nick for everything!

Carolyn Wood

March 8, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Thank you, Nick, for the great opportunity you gave me and others over the years to work on this publication. I’ll always be grateful for that. I am really sorry to see this piece of internet history stop moving forward, but my hat is really off to you for keeping it online. It’s packed with great information, and it will take a good amount of work on your part just to keep it functioning. My thanks to you for doing that, for keeping it online, and for making such a major contribution to the web through this publication.

Brett Lutchman

March 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Nick, thank you for such a wonderful service. This site will definitely be a milestone to reference off of to catch my bearing should I lose my way.

rudy

March 8, 2009 at 12:12 PM

fond memories of a golden age

thanks, nick

;o)

Keith

March 8, 2009 at 12:36 PM

To Nick and everyone else who’s worked hard to make Digital Web an awesome resource throughout the years: you guys rule! Thanks for everything and you’ll be sorely missed.

Brian Fling

March 8, 2009 at 12:37 PM

It is certainly sad to see such an important institution, that meant so much to so many people go. But a huge thank you goes out to Nick and all the editorial staff and contributors over the years. I know how much everyone involved had put their heart into this little site that could.

Craig Saila

March 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Digital Web was a valuable and defining resource for so many of us as this medium took its first tentative steps. Thanks to Nick and all the others that helped make it what it was.

Krista Stevens

March 8, 2009 at 12:50 PM

I will always be grateful for the opportunity to have worked on this magazine.

This is a sad day for our industry. It’s a shame to lose such a strong voice. So many of us are self taught, and our individual and collective success depends on independent publishing. Hats off to you, Nick for keeping the resource online.

Daniel Marino

March 8, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Major bummer! Digital Web has always been one of my favorite online publications. The information has always been great and useful. Will miss it dearly.

Richard Fink

March 8, 2009 at 1:57 PM

With much gratitiude – a fond farewell to you and all involved with Digital-Web. I learned a lot here.

Chris Brown

March 8, 2009 at 2:24 PM

This is sad news. Thanks for sharing such rich content and practical knowledge to web professionals. I’ve learned, leveraged, and shared a lot of approaches from DW to making the web a better experience. Best wishes.

Jay Fienberg

March 8, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Bummer. I always looked forward to catching up with things on Digital Web.

I hope someone comes up with a good plan for “mining” the past of Digital Web, which is so significant, as well. There have always been such a mix of statements in the articles—some that have proven to show incredible foresight, or represent what we now appreciate as enduring topics of the web; vs other statements that can now be seen as being somewhat shortsighted, or otherwise represent mostly forgettable blips in the story of the web.

Historically, both the useful and trivial channels are interesting, and I hope someone will someday dig them out from Digital Web, and turn them into neat visualizations. For example: under what topics did Gecko get its first mentions on Digital Web? What were the top 5 arguments people made before 2004 for preserving non-standard features in Internet Explorer? What were the hot CSS techniques discussed each year, since the beginning of Digital Web? etc.

Mike Mella

March 8, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Thanks for everything.

Garrett Dimon

March 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM

It’s definitely a sad day, but clearly Digital Web has offered us more to be happy and thankful for than disappointed about. Nick, we all know that it wasn’t a trivial task to keep it running, and we can’t say thanks enough for everything you’ve put into this. I definitely owe you a beer or eight at SXSW this year.

Dan Rubin

March 8, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Sad news, Nick — Digital Web has always been a site I read even when I have no time for reading. It is also one of the first sites I recommend to people starting out in the industry, and as long as you continue to curate it, it shall continue to stay at the top of that list.

I’ll join Garrett in Austin where the beer-buying is concerned. Thanks for all you and the rest of the staff have done over the years to give our community such a great resource!

Damien Buckley

March 8, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Wow, thats disappointing. Digital-web will be sadly missed. Thanks and congrats on all the hard work.

Cory Althoff

March 8, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Hey everyone, I am really sad to see digital-web go!!! I dugg this article to try to get everyone here to leave comments and show digital-web how appreciated their site is. Please show your support by digging it here: http://digg.com/design/Digital_Web_Magazine_closes_it_s_doors# Thank you!

inspirationbit

March 8, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Seeing all the comments above it’s hard to agree with the saying that “it was clear to us that what we had was no longer working”.
Thanks for all your hard work and commitment quality and professionalism.

Maxine Sherrin

March 8, 2009 at 7:22 PM

That is sad news Nick, but at the same time I really commend your bravery in knowing when it’s time to move on. All the best to everyone, and thanks so much for keeping all the resources online.

Walker Hamilton

March 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Thanks for all the support everyone. I know that it took Nick awhile to arrive at this decision (and that I wasn’t very helpful in the meantime). I really appreciate the opportunity that working on Digital Web afforded and look forward to seeing what comes next for all the other staffers.

Jonathan Snook

March 8, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I’m grateful for the opportunity that Digital Web gave me. I credited it as a place of inspiration and a place to grow as a writer, a designer and a developer. It’s sad to know that new content will no longer sprout from this fountain but nice to know that it’ll continue as a resource to others that stumble across it. Cheers, Nick (and to everybody else who has had a hand in it).

subramanian

March 8, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Keep it up. Environmental friendly as no paperis rsed in web magazines.

Adam Kirkwood

March 9, 2009 at 12:07 AM

To the Digital Web staff, I just wanted to say thank you for all your efforts for bringing awesome content to the masses. I can’t wait for the other projects you guys start after this one.

So, thank you again.

Ivy Clark

March 9, 2009 at 1:33 AM

So sad to hear this… but I believe you have something even better up your sleeves. Thank you so much for all you have done, I have turned to your articles no end of times.

Good luck in whatever you guys are doing next. ;)

DigitalSad

March 9, 2009 at 1:41 AM

Hey guys, it’s sad to hear that, I wish you all good luck and I hope this is only a transition.

Hasta la vista!!

Stu Collett

March 9, 2009 at 2:49 AM

Gutted to hear this. Your articles have been an inspiration to me over the last 3 years. What a shame…

Mike Papageorge

March 9, 2009 at 6:47 AM

Hey Nick,

Thanks a lot for having brought DW to life. It is a great resource.

So you on the internets…

Mark Priestap

March 9, 2009 at 7:23 AM

Sad to hear it. Thanks so much for the excellent resource you provided us all with.

Stephen Van Doren

March 9, 2009 at 7:27 AM

So long, DW.

Was a pleasure writing for you, back in the day, has always been a pleasure reading you. The future of online publications is henceforth of mixed value, with the inevitability of bite-sized comments via Twitter and the like replacing the polished, truly useful tomes of old. Self-promotion replacing community effort. The ‘Us’ Web is faltering. The ‘Me’ Web is taking over.

Thanks for curating for so long, Nick. Guess you can’t fight the tide forever.

Steve Killen

March 9, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Very sad to hear the news, I always looked forward to Digital web popping up in my reader every week and thought that the content and quality control was amoung the best of the regular web magazines.

Darren James Harkness

March 9, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Truly a sad day for developers & designers. Thank you for continuing to curate the site; I doubt it will ever outlive its usefulness.

Ian McFarlan

March 9, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Sorry to hear. I look forward to other projects/publications that you guys put out. Best of luck!

Hugh G.

March 9, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Sad news indeed. I’m thankful I had the opportunity to be a part of this awesome endeavor though! Thank you!

Werther Azevedo

March 9, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Thanks for everything, Nick and staff. I’ve learned a great deal of what I know about the web at DWM. Best of luck on your future projects.

Stephanie Sullivan

March 9, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I’ll echo the other comments here – great resource, thanks for all your hard work – and more beer for you in Austin. ;) Good luck on your new endeavors!

Richard Davies

March 9, 2009 at 4:14 PM

This news leaves me feeling quite nostalgic. DWM was one of the resources that I frequently relied upon during the early part of my career as a web designer/developer. So, like everyone else, let me give you a heartfelt thank you! I learned a lot from your articles and know that without a doubt this site has helped shape the web for the better.

THANK YOU.

Tantek Çelik

March 9, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Nick, thanks to you and everyone else at Digital Web Magazine for your dedicated hard work over so many years. You’ve made an impact, and will continue to do so. And thanks for committing to keeping the permalinks warm.

Chris Harrison

March 9, 2009 at 6:20 PM

I’m not sure what I can say that hasn’t been said already. Thank you for giving us Digital Web for so many years. It will be sorely missed.

Janis Gonser

March 9, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Thanks for being a great resource for so many years.

Esteban Utz

March 9, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Definitely a sad day. Digital Web Magazine was a great resource. it will be deeply missed.

Gizmo

March 10, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Thanks a lot of being here for us until now. Totally sad to see you go :(

-Gizmo

Rony Mattar

March 10, 2009 at 2:57 AM

Man! I don’t believe that!
I found so many useful articles here, sorry to hear that! you did a very good job and I wish you all the best.

Lou Rosenfeld

March 10, 2009 at 7:28 AM

This is a huge, huge loss for the web community. Very sorry to see DW wind down, but hopeful that something good will rise from the ashes.

Stephen Hay

March 10, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Sorry to hear this. Thanks, Nick, for a fine publication.

John Labriola

March 10, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Very sad to hear this. You guys were a great inspiration! Thanks so much for all your wonderful articles over the years!

Michael

March 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Thank you so much for all you’ve done, Nick, and to all the writers and volunteers who made DW such a valuable pub all these years. Sad to see it go, but hope it gave you as much as it did the rest of us.

Nathan Smith

March 10, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Nick:

It was a great run while it lasted. I share in the blame of just not having enough time to write regularly. I admire your resolve to close the doors, rather than turn the site into something it’s not, just to drive traffic. Thanks for the opportunity to be a DW contributor. Best wishes for all your future endeavors!

Douglas Clifton

March 10, 2009 at 10:41 AM

This is sad day indeed, but I understand the need to move on to bigger and better things. Tough to let go of an old friend! I’m glad you will keep the site and the existing content up and online. There are so much available here, that would truly be a loss.

As a former author and staff member, I’m glad I had the opportunity to contribute, at least in some small way.

Good luck in your endeavors (as if you’ll need it) and enjoy this year’s SXSW — I wish I could make it.

Doug

Dirk Knemeyer

March 10, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Thank you Nick and to everyone else who made Digital Web possible (from a personal perspective, especially Krista!). Your dedication over the years has helped a generation of people in our industry. Hats off to you all!

natalia

March 10, 2009 at 1:43 PM

endings are sad :( thanks for what you’ve done here, and good luck with future projects!

Matthew Anderson

March 10, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Nick and Crew,

I have been inspired deeply by DW throughout the years. Your decision to close up shop in order to maintain DW’s integrity is another inspiration in itself. I wish that I had made the time to do more of my part and contribute via articles.

Thanks for the hard, thankless work. All the best with whatever is next!

Jason Marble

March 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Well, I have to say that I am extremely grateful for all the great articles and discussions that have come from Digital Web. It’s sad to see this fine publication come to an end. Thanks and good luck.

Michel

March 11, 2009 at 3:37 AM

Very sad to hear this…

(But I am happy Digital Web will remain online.)

And good luck with anything else you might start! :)))

Jason H

March 11, 2009 at 6:42 AM

I hate to hear this, but like everyone else I understand. I have spent many hours on this site over the years. It has been an incredible resource and one that I will continue to use and rely on. I’m sure that whatever you and your team does next will be a success. Thank you for all of your hard work. All the best to you and your team.

Kristopher Leslie

March 11, 2009 at 7:16 AM

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read the heading. It’s sad to see you go as this site surely helped made me a better designer and coder over the years.

Glad to see all the industry heavy weight leaving goodbye’s. But congrats on a job well done and also lets see where your future projects take us. Good luck to the staff in all your endeavors.

rajesh satyarthi

March 12, 2009 at 12:46 PM

As much as i’m upset such magazine is closing its doors, i’m excited to see what these guys will give us next. digitalweb has been on of the few publications on my rss which i check regularly.

I respect your decision and expect you’ll be coming back with more valuable and interesting. long live digitalweb.

Krecker

March 16, 2009 at 11:01 AM

:( This was the one of first sites of this type I found as I started considering web design as a possible career path in college. Now almost 5 years into this career I’m sorry to hear the news. Best of luck in all future endeavors!

Jorge

March 21, 2009 at 9:18 PM

I’m very sad about the end of the magazine. For many years it has been the place where the major issues and revolutions of the web became closer to people like me who live far from the advances, the innovations and conferences.

I can only thank Nick and the DWM team and wish them all success in their new projects, I hope you let us be part of them in the future.

Thanks and greetings from Chile!

Daniel Craig Jallits

March 22, 2009 at 11:51 PM

This was by far one of the two most authoritative publications regarding the process and techniques required or recommended to building websites. The other being “A List Apart”. That’s not bad company to keep.

So I just want to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this project. Your insights and advice have helped me, and I am sure thousands of others, grow in this profession.

With Best Regards,

Judd Lyon

March 26, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Thank for your contributions, I learned a great deal from this site and always respected the caliber of thought it featured.

Best wishes with your other endeavors.

Edward

March 27, 2009 at 11:35 AM

This is such a great site with amazing resources. Sad to see the doors close. Wish you all the best of luck!